Snapped Derailleur Hanger on my Turbo Bike

redjeepǃ
redjeepǃ Posts: 531
edited February 2017 in Workshop
So, I was doing the Box Hill climb on Zwift this evening when my bike locked solid and my rear hanger snapped.

I've looked online but can't find a replacement as my turbo bikes an old Aluminium Dolan. at least 15 years old and I think that the snapped hanger has signed it's death warrant. I accept that the bike owes me nothing anymore and I should probably just strip it down, but I'm quite fond of it as it's been my turbo bike for about 4 or 5 years and has done sterling service until now.

Anybody have any suggestions where I could get a replacement hanger ? I've looked on eBay and the Dolan webpage, but as the bike's so old I've not been able to find anything similar.

I'd post a picture but can't figure out how to.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ring Terry and ask?

How did it break? Mech into wheel?
  • Yup, the chain was slipping and then came off and the derailleur wrapped itself in the spokes.

Good idea. It's actually one of the old Terry Dolan frames rather than the newer 'Dolan'. I've dropped them an email and will see if they can do anything.

I suppose worst case I can always convert it to a single speed (oh, the horror).
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    If you do not get anywhere with Terry it might be worth approaching your local technical school. They may be able to fabricate you one based on the bits you have. They may do it free as a a project or for a small fee. Or if you know any model engineers (model train, traction engine types) they can knock you one up in no time. As its for indoors a bit of mild steel will do the job.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • bbrap wrote:
    If you do not get anywhere with Terry it might be worth approaching your local technical school. They may be able to fabricate you one based on the bits you have. They may do it free as a a project or for a small fee. Or if you know any model engineers (model train, traction engine types) they can knock you one up in no time. As its for indoors a bit of mild steel will do the job.

That's a good idea. My department (that I'm the head of) work very closely with a local Tech. College, so I could drop a few hints next time I'm speaking to them.