New chain....

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited February 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Snapped my chain today....looking at a KMC X10 93 114 link chain, bike is a Camber 2 x 10, with a 11-36 cassette, would this chain be ok? Only £13 off eBay and replaces an original KMC X10 74 chain.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

Jay

Comments

• I have just fitted a new one yesterday. I like them, it's the third on this bike, with 10-42 Sunrace cassette, slx medium cage, and blackspire narrow wide.
  • JGTR
    How have you found the Sunrace cassette? I was looking at the 11-42....they do a MS3 or a MX3, not sure what the difference is?

What size front ring are you using?
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Yes the last 4 chains I've gone through have all been kmc x10-93.

I would recommend them for value and longevity.

I believe the ms3 cassette is like an equivalent to say a deore and the mx3 to an xt cassette.
  • JGTR wrote:
    How have you found the Sunrace cassette? I was looking at the 11-42....they do a MS3 or a MX3, not sure what the difference is?

What size front ring are you using?

Sorry, it is an 11-42. I have the black Mx3 one. Done about seven hundred miles on it, it's still black and still shifts well. Quality seems very good to me. Can't say it's any worse than the Shimano SLX I replaced.

I bought it off mtbriders on Ebay, snd it came with a longer b screw for the rear mech.

I use a 30 tooth narrow wide chainring.
  • JGTR
    Cheers
  • No probs. You can see my set up here

20170205_115208_zps6jzoccxs.jpg

20170205_115253_zpsdat6fwwk.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm using an 11-40 (the short cage XTR mech was going to be struggling with the range with the chain growth on an FS) the dearer one has an alloy largest sprocket to save weight, I run it with a 34t front ring on my Niota (link in sig).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Does the alloy sprocket wear noticably more than the steel ones and can it be replaced individually? Guess it prob not used much though.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • JGTR
    Gone for a 11-42 MSX (coz it's black!) and 34T Oval OneUp chainring as it comes with spacers to use my existing bolts and better chain line....apparently
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    JGTR wrote:
    Gone for a 11-42 MSX (coz it's black!) and 34T Oval OneUp chainring as it comes with spacers to use my existing bolts and better chain line....apparently

what do the spacers do then, just offset the chain ring from the crank arms?

I've got an 11-40 to fit with a bling gold chain (got it cheap off a mate) and looking at trying an oval chain ring nearly ordered an absolute black 34t other night.
  • JGTR
    Spacers mean I can use my existing bolts saving me £10 when fitting single ring on a 2x crank, which I appreciate isn't a lot, also depending what side I fit spacers I can move chain ring in board if required, haven't got ring yet so will update when it's fitted