Endurance/Winter bike choices....

not-another-hillǃ
not-another-hillǃ Posts: 1,310
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm in the market for a new, second hand winter bike and I fancy trying discs. I have a back issue that means anything too racy is a pain after about 90mins. So, I was thinking of one of the new breed of Endurance/relaxed geometry disc bikes.
I think I've narrowed it down to a few bikes, but I can't make my mind up....anyone own any of these and want to give an opinion.

2015 BMC Gran Fondo 01 disc, 105 version
2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2 Ultegra
2015 Wilier GTS Disc a Ultegra
2014 Orbea Avant LTD disc, SRAM Red

All 11 speed, all ok size wise, there's not a huge difference between 105 and Ultegra these days, and I'd probably put some different, lighter disc wheels on eventually, so it's really only "the ride" that I need an opinion on

Let battle commence..... :)

Comments

• Think i'd probably go for a 2017 bike.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Earlier this week I picked up my 2016 Defy Advanced pro.

My first road bike for 20 years so not sure I can add anything too useful, but these guys think highly of the Defy.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/ ... nced-pro-2

Personally the only thing I'm not happy with is the white bar type and I'd have preferred 11-32 cassette, but so far I'm loving the ride, comfortable but feels quick.

For value for money, maybe add a Cube attain into the mix?
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    The Willier is semi hydraulic with TRP HY/RD cable operated discs.They are ok but I would go for full hydraulic with such as the BMC.On offer in sale at moment at Evans.
  • I have an 2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2 Ultegra. Love it and don't regret getting it (I ride MTB more than road but I use this for getting miles in)
    I have done a couple of sportives on it, the geo is pretty spot on for me and I don't have any back pain after long rides, being able to fit 23/25mm tyres on the bike also helps a lot.
    The only thing that I would change straight away are the tyres and maybe the wheelset in the future but otherwise its pretty good stock.
    Alex
  • https://bowman-cycles.com/product/pilgrims/

Then get it made up with SRAM hydro and your preferred bits.