SPD pedal unlcipping

tyw214
tyw214 Posts: 52
edited February 2017 in Road beginners
Hi guys, newbie rider here. I just switched to SPD pedals, and i am still getting use to it.

I found that I am way more comfortable unclipping my left foot than my right foot no matter which side of my bike is closer to the curb. I am a right handed person.

However, I am afraid i'll worn out the spring/mechanism... should i be concerned, and get more comfortable with my right pedal? or I should go with what I am more comfortable with?

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Go with the more comfortable one, i find it easier to unclip with my right foot
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    tyw214 wrote:
    Hi guys, newbie rider here. I just switched to SPD pedals, and i am still getting use to it.

I found that I am way more comfortable unclipping my left foot than my right foot no matter which side of my bike is closer to the curb. I am a right handed person.

However, I am afraid i'll worn out the spring/mechanism... should i be concerned, and get more comfortable with my right pedal? or I should go with what I am more comfortable with?

You have to unclip both at some point - doesn't matter which first. It's easier unclipping if your leg is straighter - so don't try unclipping when the pedal is at the top - you can do it, it's just not so easy.

Worn out the spring/mech ... unless you've got some old pedals I seriously doubt that - mine have been on the bike for the last 6 years and have done >7500 miles - a lot of those short trips involving a fair bit of clipping in and out - and I wouldn't say mines old! So I doubt you've worn out the pedal - and practicing won't wear it out.
    If you can't unclip comfortably then you need to practice a bit more - but it may also be worth checking that the tension is the same - just release the right one a turn and give it another go.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    tyw214 wrote:

Me too
    tyw214 wrote:
    After over 7000 miles on my SPD pedals there is no difference with the unclipping force on each side. Don't worry about it. Just unclip in a way which you find comfortable.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Go with the more comfortable one, i find it easier to unclip with my right foot
    Same here - I only unclip my left foot when I actually get off the bike.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you're UK or Australian you should be unclipping on the left anyway? Then you're leaning away from traffic.

I only unclip my right when i get off the bike.

I've had clipless for 30 years now - never worn one pedal out quicker.
  • ForumNewbie
    cougie wrote:
    If you're UK or Australian you should be unclipping on the left anyway? Then you're leaning away from traffic.
    In theory you're right, but I've found no problem unclipping my right foot first, even I used to commute on busy roads.
  • cougie wrote:

In theory yes that's safer, but I don't think it matters too much. I'm left handed so I naturally unclip my left foot first and hardly ever unclip my right unless I'm getting off the bike. I've never worn out the springs in my pedals so I wouldn't worry about that.
  • It makes no difference. Left is best anyway as that's the side next to the curb most of the time.
  • Agree with pretty much everyone, it doesn't matter, whichever you find most comfortable. I always unclip left but that's solely so I can push off with my favoured leg.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I only ever unclip my right leg when coming to a stop.
    If I have to stop at lights or such, there is normally a barrier or sign that you can hold onto so you don't unclip at all.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    oxoman wrote:
    Be wary grabbing hold of signs. I grabbed hold of one at a traffic light and the base of the sign I grabbed hold of was a flexi mount. Fell off, oops

A few of the ones I do grab are the flexi ones, caught me out the first time (didn't realise how flexi they actually are)
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Personally I found the most uncomfortable way to unclip was mid accident. Are you using SPD's or SPDL's though? If its SPD's may be worth getting the silver rather than black cleat gives you more release options
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Always go with what you are comfortable with.

For you its perfect that you unclip from your left. I unclip from my right so when I am tight next to the curb I always have a bit of a problem but if you unclip from left then you can go through any of the gaps close to the curb and cars.

Don't worry about the spd mech tension.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    from a saftey point of view you should unclip with your left foot (cars pass on the right) I always do I have not found the spring mechanism wear faster on side but the left cleat will.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • tyw214
    i actually don't have problem unclipping now, but I still fall to my right side from time to time at a stop if I wasn't paying attention... XD
  • ForumNewbie
    tyw214 wrote:
    i actually don't have problem unclipping now, but I still fall to my right side from time to time at a stop if I wasn't paying attention... XD
    You should try to get into the habit of unclipping before you actually stop.
  • tyw214
    tyw214 wrote:

nono, i do that. it's just while I am stopped, if i don't concentrate, and lean right just a little i start succumbing to gravity and fall to my side XD

All my falls aren't from actually falling while in motion, it's always while i am completely stopped, and then i get like a small urge (reflex to adjust body to feel more comfortable while stopped) to lean right, and then i topple over lol...
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    tyw214 wrote:
    tyw214 wrote:

nono, i do that. it's just while I am stopped, if i don't concentrate, and lean right just a little i start succumbing to gravity and fall to my side XD

All my falls aren't from actually falling while in motion, it's always while i am completely stopped, and then i get like a small urge (reflex to adjust body to feel more comfortable while stopped) to lean right, and then i topple over lol...

Sorry to be harsh but falling like that once is easily understandable, twice probably still understandable but, if it keeps happening, I would question whether you should be let out on your own on a bike until you practice unclipping at home and crack it.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • ayjaycee wrote:
    tyw214 wrote:
    tyw214 wrote:

Sorry to be harsh but falling like that once is easily understandable, twice probably still understandable but, if it keeps happening, I would question whether you should be let out on your own on a bike until you practice unclipping at home and crack it.
    Just to make it clear to the OP that not everyone here is a condescending tw4t, I should point out that it was perfectly clear from his post that he was:

- unclipping left
    - then falling over right while stationary, having
    - inadvertently allowed his weight to shift right.
    - and that this is unrelated to the ability to unclip shortly before coming to rest.

If it's any consolation, I've been riding almost five years now, almost 8000 miles, I'm perfectly happy unclipping with either foot, but I still almost fall over when stationary from time to time in exactly this manner.

Perhaps I should be confined to the house as well while I practise unclipping some more...
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Don't worry about the spring or the curb. Just focus on unclipping a little early as you approach your stop to gain the muscle memory to always do so. Eventually, you'll fall over, clipped in... it happens to everyone.
  • ForumNewbie
    tyw214 wrote:

twy214, I can only think that the reason you have problems leaning over the to the correct side after having unclipped before stopping, is because you must be staying in the saddle when stopping, as I originally found it difficult doing it that way when I first tried.

The way I do it is to unclip my right foot at the bottom of the pedal stroke and then bring my left pedal with my foot clipped-in to it back to the bottom of the pedal stroke before stopping, and then get out of the saddle as I put my weight on my clipped-in left-foot and lean to the right and plant my right foot flat on the ground. I do it automatically now, but if you were to try this, i.e. in your case, after unclipping your left foot and before you stop, just move your clipped-in right foot to the bottom of the pedal stroke and then move your body forward out of the saddle and plant you left foot flat on the ground, I think you'll find that it's almost impossible to lean the wrong way.