Merida Reacto 300

Jambo1012
Jambo1012 Posts: 4
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi , I have been riding a fairly basic giant defy for a year now and want to upgrade. I have seen the Merida reacto 300 for £629.99

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p73 ... O-300-2016

Any opinions on this as an upgrade or any alternative bikes in that sort of price bracket

Thanks James

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Things you should know about the Reacto. The 300 is an aluminium frame with a 10 speed groupset, so not really an upgrade. The standard wheels are heavy and the rear brake mounted under the bottom bracket is a pain in the backside to set up and adjust on all model versions. I also think the brakes on the 300 are direct mount Tektro which are like sponge.

It's an aero frame with a horizontal top tube so so sizing is larger than normal for most people. A XS 47cm frame has a top tube length of 52cm. Its a very responsive set up, yet comfortable I find. But, my Reacto frame is carbon fibre as are the wheels and I ditched the standard brakes for 105. Rear brake is still useless IMO for the reasons of you can't hear it if it suddenly starts binding, (I did a whole ride once thinking I was really unfit, only to find the rear brake was binding), and it has absolutely no feel. Would have been a better design to stick at the top of the seat stays or behind the seat post.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.