Forum home Road cycling forum Your road bikes

Trek Madone 9.2 Etap - new photo's

limoneboylimoneboy Posts: 480
edited May 2017 in Your road bikes
So i've gone from Italian handbuilt to American Mass produced , go figure

Anyway , i quick few Photo's of my lastest build

Trek 9.2 52cm frame
Sram Red ETap groupset
Selle italia carbo flow saddle
vittoria CX evo tyres
Farsport 38mm rims on sapim xray spokes and dt swiss 240 hubs

i have had this rims for 2 years now and they are excellent a match for any others i have had from Zipp to Mavic

Just taken around the block at the moment but first impressions : FAST , i mean really fast and hit a few rough rough spots on purpose to test iso couple , it works , not going to go on about stiffness etc , it just feels nice.

weight wish 6.68kg with pedals (wheels and saddle are really light

I will post better pictures when i get outside !!!! turbo's getting a hammering this year with all this rain winter bikes feeling lonely

IMG_1176_zpsfi8ay7yj.jpg

IMG_1179_zpslv6g16xt.jpg

IMG_1182_zps4vxe4cwo.jpg
last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
«1

Posts

  • Garry HGarry H Posts: 6,639
    looks dangerous, I like iit. Hardly mass produced though is it.
  • Garry H wrote:
    looks dangerous, I like iit. Hardly mass produced though is it.

    Sorry , it is compared to the Legend i had , but also the opposite end of the Tech scale , brake are i nightmare to set up !
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • Nice work, i kinda miss cables :)
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ayjayceeayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Nothing wrong with mass produced as they can be very good (as yours seems to be). Is it actually 'American' mass produced or from China or Taiwan? Saying that,I don't think it makes any difference in the real world.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Like the colour way...
  • barney96barney96 Posts: 157
    Class bike, really love the colour, or lack of it. But please put some decent wheels on it, sounds like your making yourself feel better comparing them to zipp etc. Top end bike with entry level wheels doesn't add up for me .
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,082
    barney96 wrote:
    Class bike, really love the colour, or lack of it. But please put some decent wheels on it, sounds like your making yourself feel better comparing them to zipp etc. Top end bike with entry level wheels doesn't add up for me .

    I don't think he's saying that at all. The spec of those wheels sounds pretty good to me.
  • mamba80mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Imposter wrote:
    barney96 wrote:
    Class bike, really love the colour, or lack of it. But please put some decent wheels on it, sounds like your making yourself feel better comparing them to zipp etc. Top end bike with entry level wheels doesn't add up for me .

    I don't think he's saying that at all. The spec of those wheels sounds pretty good to me.

    Cracking bike and as for Zipps etc, your paying for the name, cx rays and dt 240s hubs are way above entry level and given the recall on Zipp hubs, a load less hassle too.
  • barney96 wrote:
    Class bike, really love the colour, or lack of it. But please put some decent wheels on it, sounds like your making yourself feel better comparing them to zipp etc. Top end bike with entry level wheels doesn't add up for me .

    Wow 'entry level' !!!!! £850 entry level !

    So this bike comes with £750 bontrager elites , these wheels have better rims the hub are the same internals , if i want Zipps i would buy them , cost is not the issue , over inflated brand pricing is !!!!! these rim are the exact rims used by many top brands and they were mistaken for enve by my local bike shop who sells them due to the finish and quality , just putting stickers on wheels does not make them function better , Fair Do's Zipp do put a a lot of R&D into there wheels but as we are none pros are we really going to notice the difference ??? doubt it .

    2 years not a hitch brake well in the mountains if you set up correctly (always advised with carbon ) and fast as i need

    Mmmm let's think do i feel Bad ???? No just a bit smug with the research i did and purchase really :)

    by the way guys thanks for the support on this
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • barney96barney96 Posts: 157
    Yeah 100% entry level for me.

    That's my opinion, seriously lets the other top spec components and frame down. But not only to look at but in performance stakes too.
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,082
    barney96 wrote:
    Yeah 100% entry level for me.

    That's my opinion, seriously lets the other top spec components and frame down. But not only to look at but in performance stakes too.

    Are you serious or just trolling? What are these performance issues you speak of?
  • barney96barney96 Posts: 157
    I'm intrigued as to why you'd choose far sports over a decent sent of rims for THAT bike. Not disputing the spokes and hubs solid for sure, just dont get it
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,082
    barney96 wrote:
    I'm intrigued as to why you'd choose far sports over a decent sent of rims for THAT bike. Not disputing the spokes and hubs solid for sure, just dont get it

    I was hoping you may be able to articulate precisely why it does matter? You are the one suggesting performance issues, so I was wondering what you meant?
  • barney96barney96 Posts: 157
    Why does it matter? Performance wise the Biggest for me is weight followed by braking capability then prob stiffness, maybe the last two other way as they are close.
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,082
    barney96 wrote:
    Why does it matter? Performance wise the Biggest for me is weight followed by braking capability then prob stiffness, maybe the last two other way as they are close.

    Those are light rims and there is no reason to suspect they are not stiff, either. The OP has already said the bike weighs 6.68kg, so it's hardly a boat anchor. Maybe don't comment unless you know the topic.
  • barney96barney96 Posts: 157
    Don't comment ? It's a forum mate...
    For the record I've owned a few sets of far sports for racing (cost effective to replace in case of a crash) and bits of dry weather training. Do a job, nothing spectacular, like I said performance above BUT just OK. Compare them to my latest Zipp or Enve that I use and its like chalk and cheese in EVERY way. Don't disrespect me by saying I don't know the topic.
    Not taking anything away from OP's bike as like I said it's a cracker.
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,082
    barney96 wrote:
    Compare them to my latest Zipp or Enve that I use and its like chalk and cheese in EVERY way. Don't disrespect me by saying I don't know the topic.

    So explain 'how' they are different - like I asked you earlier.
  • barney96barney96 Posts: 157
    Limoneboy - all the best, happy riding - enjoy the ride -
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,082
    I knew it...
  • So 38mm rims to me are the best compromise between aero and all weather usable , these are laced tight so are stiff , come in at around 1380g brake well ?????

    It ok I'm not offended in any way by the comments , but don't really understand how black rims can ruin a bike

    And 100% entry level ??? You must be a pro
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • smoggystevesmoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    limoneboy wrote:
    So 38mm rims to me are the best compromise between aero and all weather usable , these are laced tight so are stiff , come in at around 1380g brake well ?????

    It ok I'm not offended in any way by the comments , but don't really understand how black rims can ruin a bike

    And 100% entry level ??? You must be a pro

    Seen loads of bikes with these depth rims recently. The days of 60mm rims only for decent aero benefits are gone. Modern mid depth rims are pretty good and you get better handling in side winds.

    Bike looks smart. Good work
  • benws1benws1 Posts: 413
    Bike looks like a stealth device. Very nice.

    I'm interested in where the brake cables are. The handlebars seem quite flat, so do the cables run inside? Are they hidden in the frame at the brakes too?

    As for comments about entry level kit, who cares? Its the OP's bike and he can do what he likes with it. Hell, even if he popped some of them old spoke rattlers that you used to get with cereal on, it isn't for us to pick at. ;)
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,082
    limoneboy wrote:

    And 100% entry level ??? You must be a pro
    Barney mainly posts in the pro race forum, which tells you pretty much all you need to know... ;)
  • smoggystevesmoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    benws1 wrote:
    Bike looks like a stealth device. Very nice.

    I'm interested in where the brake cables are. The handlebars seem quite flat, so do the cables run inside? Are they hidden in the frame at the brakes too?

    As for comments about entry level kit, who cares? Its the OP's bike and he can do what he likes with it. Hell, even if he popped some of them old spoke rattlers that you used to get with cereal on, it isn't for us to pick at. ;)

    Hah. The only downside if such clean lines. Changing the bloody cables. If anyone has tried routing cables through carbon bars will tell you, it makes you want to cry. 2 would be not so bad but if you run mechanical gears 4 is a nightmare. On the Madone the brakes route all the way through the stem to the frame seamlessly and looks awesome. Gears are wiifli so no cables there anyway.
  • fat daddyfat daddy Posts: 2,605
    that is a thing of beauty !!!! .... regarding the brakes, do regular calipers fit ? .. or just the aero ones .... it always worries me that a few years down the line you will need to replace a caliper and they will no longer make them.

    suppose it doesn't matter if you keep ahead of the game .... but most of my bikes are 1997 - 2008 :D
  • smoggystevesmoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    A lot of bikes are coming out with bespoke integrated brakes that are either part of the frame/fork or designed for use on 1 bike only like thecrear one on this bike. I would think the bigger brands would still support many of their legacy bikes but only if it serves their own interests. Do they value you as a returning customer etc?
  • built this up myself as it was bought from Math Salden whom i have used a few times for frames , bought this as a bike but the cables bars etc are not attached so you have to do all this yourself

    i have built many bikes 20+ in my time but this one was the most challenging as you can understand , i think doing wifi made it much more simple but it not as hard as i thought it was going to be , just slow going and loads of measuring , they provide cable guides for all parts of the frame . set the brakes is hard going though !

    yes all cables are through bars and frame , gives a lovely clean finish.

    this ia a totally integrated frame frame so brake calipers bars and seat post are bespoke

    not even going to mention the wheels !!!!!!
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • OK barney , you have had the last laugh , finally got out on Madone , brakes ineffective , reason rims to narrow for Madone intergrated brakes , tried spacers in pads but not effective , so lesson learn check these things before buying a new frame as this has just turn into a very expensive bike

    replacements , very very similar Fulcrum racing quattro carbons but with not as good hubs , i had to stick to a budget or thing are going to get silly

    wheels going for sale of course .
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • New photos from last week

    Wheels changed already as i previous post found out the brakes didnt quite work as i decended down cheese hill at 60k , lucky it goes up as fast as it goes down !!!!

    IMG_12931_zps1ef35bck.jpg

    IMG_12941_zpsuiawbedg.jpg
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • limoneboylimoneboy Posts: 480
    New wheels fitted

    IMG_1341_zpsbsrosci4.jpg

    IMG_1342_zpsvyqnnej5.jpg

    IMG_1343_zpsljxk2mkk.jpg
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
Sign In or Register to comment.