Show us your moto-sickle

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited February 2017 in The bottom bracket
Conundrum:

Sell current motor-bike and a spare bi-cycle and buy tired 93 'Blade that needs work or maintain status quo and ignore 'Blade and just label it as a tired piece of junk so you don't feel too bad about it.

Discuss if you really want to......
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    what is the current mortorbike and spare bike ?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    fat daddy wrote:
    This. What sort of state is the Blade? Can you still get decent rubber for it? Didn't some blades have funny sized front wheels.
    Thinking about it (and Googling) that's a fairly early one. If it's straight and original it's worth keeping that way as it will probably go up in value. Most of them would have been killed by now. Check it's not been crashed.
  • Matthewfalle
    '98 ZX6R in 98% perfect condition, 9,000 miles.

One of a number of spare bicycles I don't use because I have too many of the damn things. Not so much n+1 but n+10 ...

'Blade has 20,000 miles, is from a dealer but is cosmetically tired - but it's a classic 'Blade that I've always wanted and I've got the space and time to tinker and get stuff powder coated.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    In my experience, the only thing that's guaranteed to blow cash faster than pretty much anything else is a motorbike project. It's nearly 25 years old for a start and it's a fireblade so it'll have been thrashed and wheelied everywhere. You've already labelled it as a piece of junk so the likelihood is that it's going to need lots of work and money pouring into it. Unless you're a skilled home mechanic I'd give it a miss.
  • Matthewfalle
    Veronese68 wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:
    This. What sort of state is the Blade? Can you still get decent rubber for it? Didn't some blades have funny sized front wheels.
    Thinking about it (and Googling) that's a fairly early one. If it's straight and original it's worth keeping that way as it will probably go up in value. Most of them would have been killed by now. Check it's not been crashed.

Tired - needs really good clean at the minimum to see exactly what it's like. Powder coating wheels, changing loads of bolts, through bearing changes, most prob shock and fork rebuilds - it's not exactly lush.

Tyres for the funny 16" front wheel shouldn't be a problem.

The fact that it's not in classic concours condition also means that I'll have a freehand in modifying it to how I want without feeling guilty about jeffing up a classic.

Am utterly undecided as to whether to stick with something that needs no work at all or have something that I need to start work on and spend more money and time on.

And I still have the race RGV to finish .....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Shortfall wrote:
    In my experience, the only thing that's guaranteed to blow cash faster than pretty much anything else is a motorbike project. It's nearly 25 years old for a start and it's a fireblade so it'll have been thrashed and wheelied everywhere. You've already labelled it as a piece of junk so the likelihood is that it's going to need lots of work and money pouring into it. Unless you're a skilled home mechanic I'd give it a miss.

This.

Decision made - thank you very much!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    Shortfall wrote:
    In my experience, the only thing that's guaranteed to blow cash faster than pretty much anything else is a motorbike project.
    I disagree, my Bonneville rebuild has cost me nothing over the last 3 years. I've barely touched it in that time, I really should pull my finger out. :oops:
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    In my experience, the only thing that's guaranteed to blow cash faster than pretty much anything else is a motorbike project.
    I disagree, my Bonneville rebuild has cost me nothing over the last 3 years. I've barely touched it in that time, I really should pull my finger out. :oops:
    Wrong. In the last 3 years your Bonnie has been secretly burning your spare cash faster than you realise. A job that would have cost you 100 quid to do 3 years ago will now cost 200+ for sure... :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Shortfall wrote:

You're not married then?

Wifes birthday party last weekend, I came home yesterday to find £60's worth of flowers on our dining room table. Gifts to her mates to say thank you for making it a great weekend.

WTaF???
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    Wrong. In the last 3 years your Bonnie has been secretly burning your spare cash faster than you realise. A job that would have cost you 100 quid to do 3 years ago will now cost 200+ for sure... :D
    You utter utter barsteward. :P
    I used to keep telling the wife it's going up in value faster than any money in the bank. Trouble is now she wants me to finish it and sell it, so I have no motivation to finish it.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    I think we need a 'post pics of your motorbike' thread. And/or 'post pics of the restoration project that's sitting waiting' thread.
  • Matthewfalle
    Good idea.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    I had a 98 (RRW) 'blade, it was an utterly fantastic bike: comfortable, quick, light and agile. Before that I'd had an original ZX10 - 135 bhp, bulky, heavy, a skinny rear tyre and 'adequate' brakes made for an interesting time, and riding the Honda was a true revelation. I'm damned if I can remember why I sold it....

Matt, if your ZX6 is 98% perfect, I'd keep it. The ZX6 may not have the cachet of the Fireblade, but it's still a great bike and you may be buying a heap of issues with the 'blade.

These days I'm on an old farts bike :( (because I am one). If we get a motorcycle picture thread going I'll prove it.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • veronese68
    Before:
    IMGP0108.jpg
    3 years ago (and now):
    IMGP1161.jpg
    Will become:
    BikeAD.jpg
    Unlike my previous one this one will have high pipes and painted mudguards I reckon.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Unlike my previous one this one will have high pipes and painted mudguards I reckon.
    Big yes to the high pipes, unsure of painted mudguards, liking the chrome ones very much. But I don't have a say in it, do I? :)
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • veronese68
    Andcp wrote:
    But I don't have a say in it, do I? :)
    Not really, but all opinions are valid. Chrome is too blingy, especially with the big rear light. Plain aluminium might be the way. Going for more of a street scrambler look.
  • Matthewfalle
    That's looking really sweet - nice. High pipes will be cool - do it. To tell the truth, I quite like the chrome.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Andcp wrote:
    I had a 98 (RRW) 'blade, it was an utterly fantastic bike: comfortable, quick, light and agile. Before that I'd had an original ZX10 - 135 bhp, bulky, heavy, a skinny rear tyre and 'adequate' brakes made for an interesting time, and riding the Honda was a true revelation. I'm damned if I can remember why I sold it....

Matt, if your ZX6 is 98% perfect, I'd keep it. The ZX6 may not have the cachet of the Fireblade, but it's still a great bike and you may be buying a heap of issues with the 'blade.

These days I'm on an old farts bike :( (because I am one). If we get a motorcycle picture thread going I'll prove it.

Wise words well said and agree - just noticed a 2004 Blade with the same mileage in better condition for less money than the '93 so have dismissed that idea.

The 6 is all I really need - 105 bhp, 160 mph, real sized, comfy, ride height and suspension set up like a 160 mph 250 so all good. And because I have no real sentimental attachment to it when I smash it up it's only the 6 so won't be bothered.

I'll post pictures of it and the RGV beautiful machine asap.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • 1044626_10200290736326227_933918654_n.jpg?oh=5886adb8fe090ef0f27960a8d6e29849&oe=594568B0

This is me on my 2004 Aprilia Tuono Racing. I have modified it with home made carbon bits, you can see the full list here http://www.jollyscarbon.co.uk/My_Motorcycle.html along with all the other stuff I make as a hobby..
  • Matthewfalle
    Would you consider making frame guards for an RGV?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.