4iiii Power Meter

mike1-2
mike1-2 Posts: 456
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
So, these look as good as the Stages equivalent, and significantly cheaper. I'm gonna pull the trigger on Friday I think, unless any of you can talk me out of it, or recommend an alternative?

I'm not good enough to warrant spending the money on a dual sided model, nor am I overly keen on pedal based systems really. Any real world experience with these 4iiii's?

Comments

• Mike wrote:
    I'm gonna pull the trigger on Friday I think, unless any of you can talk me out of it, or recommend an alternative?

I'm not good enough to warrant spending the money on a dual sided model, nor am I overly keen on pedal based systems really.

So you've decided on the 4iiii then.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mike1-2
    More or less, but I was looking for people who have used the 4iiii, or others or both to see if there is any advantage to other models. Just after a bit of consumer advice before dropping nearly 400 quid on one.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I've got two of these Mike (on different bikes, not dual sided). I had a few problems with the first one, it was an early model, but 4iiii support was very good, and replaced it FOC. The second gen one has been fine and has performed without a glitch (as has the replacement 1st gen). I've no complaints and would recommend them, numbers seem consistent, no drop outs, and battery life good.
    The lady who deals with Customer Support is called Pearl Diamond, - you've got to like that!
  • mike1-2
    Sounds Good Harry, I'm going to order directly from them I think as there is a saving to be had and they have the one I need in stock, unlike somewhere like Evans Cycles which state they won't have them until end of February. They come from Canada don't they? How long did shipping take for you?
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I ordered directly too. They e-mailed me a Fed Ex label and I sent a crank to them, they fitted the pm and then Fed-Ex'd it back. The whole thing took about 2 weeks from ordering to receipt. I had to pay duty when I received the first one, but not on the second, so it seems Customs might be a bit inconsistent.
    Setting it up and calibrating just took a few minutes, it was very straightforward. I'm using them with a Garmin 1000, and pairing up was no problem.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    If you get hit for duties and vat it will more direct than via evans.
  • Mike wrote:
    More or less, but I was looking for people who have used the 4iiii, or others or both to see if there is any advantage to other models. Just after a bit of consumer advice before dropping nearly 400 quid on one.
    I had a Stages G2 - had constant dropouts with my Garmin 820 (replicated with my pal's 520) on an out-front mount. I see a number of others making the same complaint and that the battery compartment cover isn't durable (ingress of water, battery drain).

Sent it back, swapped for a 4iiii (and £100 back in my hand).

No issues with the 4iiii at all. Had a niggle after firmware update - all sorted by 4iiii support within 8 hours.
  • mike1-2
    Mike wrote:
    I had a Stages G2 - had constant dropouts with my Garmin 820 (replicated with my pal's 520) on an out-front mount. I see a number of others making the same complaint and that the battery compartment cover isn't durable (ingress of water, battery drain).

Sent it back, swapped for a 4iiii (and £100 back in my hand).

No issues with the 4iiii at all. Had a niggle after firmware update - all sorted by 4iiii support within 8 hours.

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to hear, thankyou.

In regards to customs, I'm buying the whole arm which is 398 direct, at Evans (And anywhere else I can find in the UK) it's 470. I've just had a set of wheels delivered from China and paid 30 quid customs and they were declared at 650 value, I can't imagine customs on a crank arm will be near 70 quid.
  • If it attracts it - and I know mine didn't - the charge will be Import VAT at 20% of declared value, plus whatever handling charge the carrier adds (Royal Mail is £8, Parcelforce is £12, DHL is a percentage, ...)

If you have BC membership and you're prepared to go to an Evans store in person then you should be able to get 10% off anything that is being sold at RRP (So 470 becomes 423 with no risk of any surprises)
  • gdf
    gdf Posts: 26
    I'm looking at buying one too. Could someone who has one tell me how far out of the crank the power meter bit sticks out? Or I don't suppose there's anyone reading this who's got a left side one on a 2015 Canyon Ultimate SLX? Just wondering about the clearance between that and the frame. Cheers if you can help.

I know about the printout/AAA battery thing on their site but I haven't got access to a printer for a couple of days.
  • mike1-2
    After all that I found a new Pioneer one on eBay for less than the price of the 4iiii price (without and import tax)
    Think I'm going to send my spare crank off to Canada when I have the funds though to save me swapping the crank between bikes.
    Thanks all.
  • I thought I'd post this in case it helps anyone thinking about buying a 4iiii in the UK. I looked up on 4iiiiuk.com where my nearest retailer was, which in my case was Cadence Performance in Crystal Palace (good service and a nice coffee to boot), rang them up and they had a fairly large amount of stock even though the salesman said they have been flying off the shelves. It cost 350 pounds and has worked flawlessly since I bought it. I'm really happy with it for that price and would very much recommend it. I had previously wanted to buy from Evans Cycles but they kept putting their delivery date back so I'm glad I discovered the 4iiiiuk website, it made the whole thing a lot easier.
  • Just ordered myself one, scheduled for delivery on Monday. Very excited!
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    I've had one of the 4iiii power meters since Christmas - it's been good so far and mine was £350 from Evans.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Whats got me from a quick look is the pricing.

A. I send them my 105 5800 crank and its £320

B. They send me one on a new crank and its £320

Eh?