small-ish back pack for long journey

rouleur23
rouleur23 Posts: 175
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi
anyone know of a decent bag for me to wear on my back so I can ride for 6-8 hours without panniers? I only need to carry around 2-3kg of stuff in it. The basics for the end of the day etc.

Thanks

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Sorry, no I don't. But I'm curious to know why you'd want to do that.

I wouldn't contemplate riding for that long with a back pack, I'd far rather find a way of attaching 2-3 kg to the bike
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I'd not fancy a backpack for 6 to 8 hours.

My mate has a pack from Apidura https://www.apidura.com/shop/?jumpto=98 Not cheap but he's really pleased with it.
  • hugo15 wrote:

My mate has a pack from Apidura https://www.apidura.com/shop/?jumpto=98 Not cheap but he's really pleased with it.

I am not after a full blown backpack. For two tees and a pair of shorts plus light slippers and a 2nd pair of cycling shorts I need a bag the size of a shoe box or less. Not cumbersome but neat and compact.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I have a Deuter that I would recommend, but any of the range are great.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-race-exp-air-rucksack/
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    If you're cycling to a hotel (Which by your kit list sounds like it) then just take panniers. Or even one of those seat post mounted luggage things, I hate cycling with a backpack on. Especially for that amount of time.
  • rouleur23 wrote:
    hugo15 wrote:

I am not after a full blown backpack. For two tees and a pair of shorts plus light slippers and a 2nd pair of cycling shorts I need a bag the size of a shoe box or less. Not cumbersome but neat and compact.

This is spot on hugo. I sold on this bag. Thanks
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Does not matter how small or how little you are carrying in that backpack, you will still get hot and sweaty on a ride of that duration. You would be much more comfortable using one of those aero day seatpacks linked to above IMO.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:

Thanks svetty this is just the job. Same style as the other recommended but your link is a bit cheaper too. Nice.
  • DJ58 wrote:
    Does not matter how small or how little you are carrying in that backpack, you will still get hot and sweaty on a ride of that duration. You would be much more comfortable using one of those aero day seatpacks linked to above IMO.

Yes you are right and I am going down that road as it is a great little bag and just the ticket for me. Getting into shape for a stab at a world record in 2018 so the more streamlined I can be the better.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Mountain bikers manage with camelbaks for hours on end - I think you'd be looking at about the same kind of size and weight bag. The road position v mtb is slightly different though.

The Alpkit seems the best answer.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    My missus used one of these on her longer rides - anything up to 200 miles. They come in various sizes and should fit what you need. Less of a sweating issue versus a backpack.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I use "Deuter road one" ... its tiny, but holds a bladder, and easily enough room for phones, pumps tubes, lunch etc.

if I need to carry more I use one of the larger camel backs

only used them for a couple of hours at a go on the road .. but both have seen all day MTB usage ..... do you get sweaty ... well I didn't on the road, but on the MTB I did, but then I think I would have without it as well,
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I just use one of the small camelpacks with the bladder removed - mostly for my commute.

But it is more comfortable with the kit on the bike rather than on your back - even a small amount of kit.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Slowbike wrote:
    But it is more comfortable with the kit on the bike rather than on your back - even a small amount of kit.

it is .... but I have a love hate relationship with my panniers

the rack is 500g and an Ortleib high roller is 1kg ... that's 1.5kg -2.5kg before you even start .. and noticeably changes the way the bike rides as well ... with that much weight over the rear wheel you get some crazy "weave" going on when you start to sprint

and yes I know "whats the point of sprinting its not a race" ....yes I know its not a race, its more important thtn that .. its "commuting" and whats the point of traffic lights if not to sprint away from them, or through them before they change

If I am not carrying much having the weight curved over my back is a lot better when it comes to throwing the bike around
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    rouleur23 wrote:
    Hi
    anyone know of a decent bag for me to wear on my back so I can ride for 6-8 hours without panniers? I only need to carry around 2-3kg of stuff in it. The basics for the end of the day etc.

Thanks

I have one of these.

http://pages.rapha.cc/stories/rapha-apidura

Excellent. Looks good and functional
  • i used one of these for commuting to work

https://www.milletsports.co.uk/product/ ... AkrX8P8HAQ

12 litres, when it's not stuffed full sits very flat to your back, has 2 sets of body straps so stays perfectly in place, providing it's not too hot you don't even notice its there! also comes with a built in rain cover (makes it much less aero!)

only wear it for a maximum of 90 mins at a time so no idea if it would start to annoy you 6+ hours!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    fat daddy wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

it is .... but I have a love hate relationship with my panniers

the rack is 500g and an Ortleib high roller is 1kg ... that's 1.5kg -2.5kg before you even start .. and noticeably changes the way the bike rides as well ... with that much weight over the rear wheel you get some crazy "weave" going on when you start to sprint

and yes I know "whats the point of sprinting its not a race" ....yes I know its not a race, its more important thtn that .. its "commuting" and whats the point of traffic lights if not to sprint away from them, or through them before they change

If I am not carrying much having the weight curved over my back is a lot better when it comes to throwing the bike around

Only occaisionally bothered with panniers for commute - don't bother now as I've not got a rack on the bike I'm using - but on the one I should be using I can put a rack top bag on - weighs not a lot, can carry a pair of shoes, clothes & lunch - just - and makes no odds to the riding - sprinting or not.
  • Definitely get a saddle pack, no way you want a rucksack!

I've both the Alpkit and the large Apidura. Apidura has slightly better fastenings for heavy loads, but for the amount of weight you want to carry, the Alpkit is great and better value.
  • rouleur23 wrote:
    hugo15 wrote:

I know this is the classic thread where you ask for backpack advice and everyone responds saying don't get a backpack, but have you considered a saddlebag?

I actually have a Super C saddlepack which might just about carry the amount of stuff you are suggesting. Fit and remove in seconds, no special tools needed.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • A seat pack is a much neater solution... the Apidura one is the golden ticket, but there are cheaper ones, like Altura one or something from the Carradice range. They range from 6 to 14 litres capacity, which is similar to a small backpack.

If you want something smaller to carry 2 Kg of small stuff, Ortlieb makes a water proof saddle bag which is 2.7 Lt and only 32 pounds
    left the forum March 2023
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    If you want quality, go for a Kriega.
    Designed for motorcycling, but I've used mine for MTB and it works really well.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Specialized do a seat bag called the Burra Burra I think, two sizes, the bigger holds up to 20 litres which is great, but it can't be used with carbon seat posts which is a bit sh1t.

I'm planning a three day ride from the West Midlands to Glasgow later in the year, I'd want shorts, t-shirt, toiletries, a few tools and lightweight shoes in it. I need to get the stuck carbon seatpost out of my Bianchi and get the metal one out of the single speed first.

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Specia ... 0/DWNJ?s=1
  • ChippyK wrote:
    Specialized do a seat bag called the Burra Burra I think, two sizes, the bigger holds up to 20 litres which is great, but it can't be used with carbon seat posts which is a bit sh1t.

I'm planning a three day ride from the West Midlands to Glasgow later in the year, I'd want shorts, t-shirt, toiletries, a few tools and lightweight shoes in it. I need to get the stuck carbon seatpost out of my Bianchi and get the metal one out of the single speed first.

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Specia ... 0/DWNJ?s=1

I suspect all these warnings against carbon seatposts are simply because the laquer gets scuffed. A couple of wraps of electrician tape should do the job. I don't see any reason why a carbon seatpost wouldn't be suitable to hold a small bag. Some manufacturers using the same fixing methods don't mention carbon seatposts...
    left the forum March 2023