Boardman vs Hoy?

manx_cat
manx_cat Posts: 52
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
So I am going to be riding on the road, don't really want a pure road bike as the riding position looks too uncomfortable.

So I have narrowed it down to these two hybrids: Hoy Shizuoka .001 - £650
https://www.evanscycles.com/hoy-shizuok ... e-EV246154
Boardman Hybrid Team Bike - £550 reduced from £699
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -team-bike
Just want to know if anyone knows if one is much better than the other? I am leaning towards the Boardman.

Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Boardman has much better bits. Brakes, transmission etc. And a carbon fork.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I have that Boardman as a daily commuter ....

my only complaint since I bought it .(back in May 2016 I think ?) is that now I wish I had bought the CX as it has drop bars and a 1x11 drive train. .. But to be fair I only think this because I got addicted to cycling and acquired a couple of road bikes and prefer the drop bars

It hasn't broken in 8 months of daily use (well I say daily use ... since jan 1st I have mostly ridden the MTB or CX bike in)

It was a good buy at £700 ..... its a steal at £550
  • manx_cat wrote:
    So I am going to be riding on the road, don't really want a pure road bike as the riding position looks too uncomfortable.

Thanks.

Having ridden a Boardman hybrid and then a road bike, I would suggest trying a road bike before you make that conclusion.

They're more comfortable to ride than you think, particularly if you are doing anything more than 5-10 miles or live anywhere hilly

If you're set on the hybrid option, I would pick the Boardman all day long
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you think about it - the riding position can't be that uncomfortable - millions of us ride like that ?

OK its a bit weird to begin with but well worth persevering at it. Far more versatile than flat bars.
  • fat daddy wrote:
    I have that Boardman as a daily commuter ....

my only complaint since I bought it .(back in May 2016 I think ?) is that now I wish I had bought the CX as it has drop bars and a 1x11 drive train. .. But to be fair I only think this because I got addicted to cycling and acquired a couple of road bikes and prefer the drop bars

It hasn't broken in 8 months of daily use (well I say daily use ... since jan 1st I have mostly ridden the MTB or CX bike in)

It was a good buy at £700 ..... its a steal at £550

Is the CX you mean this one for £1k?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... -team-bike
  • fat daddy
    Yes ... although for £250 more the cxr is a better bike ... lighter wheels, saddle and 22 gears ..... if they did the cxr in 1x11 I would prefer it
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Fenix wrote:
    If you think about it - the riding position can't be that uncomfortable - millions of us ride like that ?

OK its a bit weird to begin with but well worth persevering at it. Far more versatile than flat bars.

Well till this day I am not sure why dropper bar suits normal cyclists. How many of us you see riding around London riding in aero position? I see them once in a while in regents park only and only because they are not riding to work.

Till now I think flat bar has way more control than drop bars even if you ride on the hood. Braking levers makes more sense with flat too. Everything mountain bike components makes more sense. You can one figure braking in extreme conditions but I can't even brake property with my whole hands squishing the life out of the brakes. These two days riding in the rain with my Di2 and Hydrolic discs and I can't keep thinking what a daft design for normal cyclists.

The only reason why I have sticked with dopper bars because it looks cool (although I think it is stupid in so many ways. Flat bar gives you the ultimate control because the way your hands holds the handle and you can turn better and easier.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    hsiaolc wrote:

Till now I think flat bar has way more control than drop bars even if you ride on the hood. Braking levers makes more sense with flat too. Everything mountain bike components makes more sense. You can one figure braking in extreme conditions but I can't even brake property with my whole hands squishing the life out of the brakes. These two days riding in the rain with my Di2 and Hydrolic discs and I can't keep thinking what a daft design for normal cyclists.

The only reason why I have sticked with dopper bars because it looks cool (although I think it is stupid in so many ways. Flat bar gives you the ultimate control because the way your hands holds the handle and you can turn better and easier.

You've set something up wrong then if you can't stop properly - I can do it with 2 fingers on my road bikes.
    Also look at cross riders - they seem to manage perfectly well. You don't really turn the bars on a road bike. It's more leaning and the occasional nudge.
  • hsiaolc
    Fenix wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:

You've set something up wrong then if you can't stop properly - I can do it with 2 fingers on my road bikes.
    Also look at cross riders - they seem to manage perfectly well. You don't really turn the bars on a road bike. It's more leaning and the occasional nudge.

I doubht I had it wrong set up. I have two di2 hydrolic system One done by Rose and its the same.

One Canyon ultegra caliper and forget about that stopping in the wet.

Compared to my mountain bikes its not comparable.

when you need to turn on the road bar it is hmm when you are at risk already and need to avoid.

Anyway I know which one I would prefer if I am not so vain.

Actually i did convert my canyon to flat bar.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Flat bar probably good for shorter journeys, agree the position of the brakes is better for riding around traffic, more upright position better for looing around etc. Not as good for climbing though, less aero, less opportunity to move position and can become a bit uncomfortable after 10 miles or so if you are training to maintain a decent pace. I used to commute on an old MTB with slicks when I had a flat 7 mile commute, changed to drop bar road bike when I moved to a 10 mile hilly commute and can confirm the road bike is a lot better for that ride. Never really have issues braking either (even in the wet) but then maybe its because I ride according to the conditions?
  • Does anyone think this one is much better than either of the other two?

Cube SL Road Pro - £699
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-SL-Road-Pr ... iBL8P8HAQ#
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    The Boardman still. Tiagra better than Sora and the carbon fork adds a lot of comfort. Which you'll need on flat bar with no opportunity to change hand position.

But 100% you will regret not getting drop bar if you use it for anything more than a 5 mile urban commute.
  • hsiaolc
    I think it is best for the OP to test out Flat and Drop bars and see which one he prefers.
  • hsiaolc wrote:

How often do you turn using the bars more than leaning the bike?
  • super_davo
    I've got a Boardman Team Hybrid sitting in my garage, bought as my only bike, now it gets used as a pub bike, and for riding with the kids. I know the strengths and limitations very well. If you want to ride for 30 minutes in civvies then it's great. If you want to ride all day then that means roadie and lycra. You need to work out what sort of riding you want to do and decide. But many people buy a bike thinking they will use it a bit, then end up using it a lot, if you are one of those people you'll regret going for a hybrid.
  • super_davo wrote:
    I've got a Boardman Team Hybrid sitting in my garage, bought as my only bike, now it gets used as a pub bike, and for riding with the kids. I know the strengths and limitations very well. If you want to ride for 30 minutes in civvies then it's great. If you want to ride all day then that means roadie and lycra. You need to work out what sort of riding you want to do and decide. But many people buy a bike thinking they will use it a bit, then end up using it a lot, if you are one of those people you'll regret going for a hybrid.

I see, thanks.

Is this one for £1k with the Knobbly tyres not great for the road as its a CX?
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... -_-TopLink

Or maybe this one is better?
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Felt-Z6-Disc-20 ... _82594.htm
  • fat daddy
    its fine for the road ... the tyres are knobbly but they are relatively fast rolling .... I currently run very similar tyres on a single speed cx bike AND the team hybrid, because I like to take the long cut home and to work and loop around some mud tracks this time of year

the tyres actually work better in a lot of instances thanks to Bristols cobbles and pot holes.

the single speed CX has currently seen me get a PR pretty much every day this week ...... but that bike will happily run 25-32 slick tyres if you require

if you have a old worthless bike cycle repulbic are doing 15% trade in ATM ... that makes the even better CXR only £1000 ... lightish, CX bike 22speed .. om nom nom
  • super_davo
    Again, the Boardman. Different type of bikes, cyclo-cross vs endurance road, but both are quite versatile. I'd pick the Boardman as the Rival is better than the Tiagra and most importantly it's got hydraulic disks (cable disks way more faff). The fact it's a single front ring may limit its use if you lived somewhere very hilly, but if you don't it will do you well both on and off road.
    Buy some 28mm slicks and it's pretty nearly a full on road bike, keep on the knobblies if you want to to venture off on paths. I'd recommend you buy the slicks if you use predominantly on road, as they don't cost much (get a decent mid ranger like Vitorria Rubino Pro or Michelin Lithion to start, should be around £30 a set) and they will stop you wearing out the knobblies it comes with.
  • super_davo wrote:
    Again, the Boardman. Different type of bikes, cyclo-cross vs endurance road, but both are quite versatile. I'd pick the Boardman as the Rival is better than the Tiagra and most importantly it's got hydraulic disks (cable disks way more faff). The fact it's a single front ring may limit its use if you lived somewhere very hilly, but if you don't it will do you well both on and off road.
    Buy some 28mm slicks and it's pretty nearly a full on road bike, keep on the knobblies if you want to to venture off on paths. I'd recommend you buy the slicks if you use predominantly on road, as they don't cost much (get a decent mid ranger like Vitorria Rubino Pro or Michelin Lithion to start, should be around £30 a set) and they will stop you wearing out the knobblies it comes with.

I c, thanks.

Is the Boardman better than this: https://www.rutlandcycling.com/320630/p ... iatewindow
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Again all this rubbish about drop bars being so much better - with many comparing their road bike to a previous mountain bike with slicks - thats not a sensible comparison.

In terms of comfort, if the two bikes are set up the same then there should be no difference. In terms of climbing you do this on the hoods normally which is very similar to bar ends position on flat bars. So drops no better here.

Wider bars on flat bike are more stable and more maneuverable around traffic.

Drops allows you to get lower centre of gravity and (if your back allows it) more aero, more comfortably. Better for descending mainly but most riders dont spend much time in the drops overall.

Just as many hand positions on a flat bar bike with bar ends.

With flat bars & bar ends, brakes/shifters optimised for the tops/flat position as opposed to a drop bar bike which is optimised for a compromise between hoods & drops.

I had a Boardman Hybrid Team - did 15,000 miles on it including several century rides with no discomfort whatsoever and I was quicker than most when climbing but slower when descending - the latter is more about me than the bike though.

Then a year ago, that hybrid got squished in an accident with a taxi, so once I had healed enough I got a drop bar bike with discs that cost three times as much and was all carbon. Despite giving it time and gettting a professional bike fit, and really quite liking it, it has never been as inspiring to ride as the Boardman Hybrid desite being technically a much better/lighter bike. If it broke tomorrow I would go buy a Boardman Hybrid again, in fact I have pieced one together from second hand bits and what was salvageable from my old bike to use for commuting in the winter rather than trash the expensive carbon bike. Although it felt weird at first, after a few days commuting, the love is back and I dont feel compelled to get back to drops asap.

There is alot of snobbery but if set up right, either will be fine. Flat bars probably better around traffic though.
  • The city commuter set-up I found best, just to move the conversation on a bit, is the bullhorn. I find flat bars less comfortable than drops or bullhorns even with bar ends. They also seem to end up quite wide by the time you have bar ends, grips, brakes, shifters and lights/computer all competing for the same space.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH