Size up or down?

NucDidds
NucDidds Posts: 15
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

My first post. :D

My query is regarding frame size. I am at the cusp between a 52 and 54 on the new Specialized Roubaix.

I have test rode the 54 and whilst very good (the Future Shock is amazing) the seat post had to be shortened to get the right height. My arms had a bend in so that was OK but could I have had more 'comfort' from the seat post if it had been higher (relatively) from the clamp?

My LBS is suggesting the 52 and I am inclined to agree but thought I'd ask more experienced people who have done many n+1 purchases.

Thanks

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Go with what the bike shop suggests, a slightly too small frame is easier to get the right fit than a slightly too big frame.
  • Just out of interest, how tall are you?

I'd definitely agree with diamonddog's comments, it's easier to make a small bike bigger than a big bike smaller. At least try out a 52 before putting down your cash.
  • Agree that you should try a 52 if possible. One thing to take into account is that a 52 will have a shorter seat tube meaning more seat post but it will also mean a shorter head tube and lower front end (stack height). You can compensate if the front end is too low with more spacers and/or changing stem lengths. Essentially you could make both sizes fit in all likelihood just mean playing around with different aspects of the fit.

As for comfort being increased with more seat post showing, not really it is more just an aesthetic thing, most prefer more seatpost because it is the modern trend in bike fitting i.e. it is what the pro's do!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It really depends on your shape vs the frame goemetry. When I was fitted for my Racelight Tk the bike shop initially put me on a 54 based on my height, but I have longer legs and shorter torso than average, so the reach was too far. They built the bike up with a 51 frame and flipped the stem so the saddle to bar drop wasn't too large; it fits like a glove. And I think having more seat post out of the frame does add a tiny bit to comfort as it flexes back and forth.

When I bought my CR1 I went for a 54 because of the higher head tube and shorter top tube.

I'd ask them to get a 52 in for you to try
  • Just out of interest, how tall are you?

I'd definitely agree with diamonddog's comments, it's easier to make a small bike bigger than a big bike smaller. At least try out a 52 before putting down your cash.

I'm 5'7' in old money but shorter in the leg so am thinking seat post is critical and can flex with stem etc for reach.

52 in Roubaix seem to be in short supply for demo bikes (or I'm not in the correct standard deviation from the norm).

Thanks
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    NucDidds wrote:

I'm 5'7' in old money but shorter in the leg so am thinking seat post is critical and can flex with stem etc for reach.

I wouldn't be relying on this too much. Any additional 'flex' from a longer post will be minimal at best, to the point where I doubt if you will notice.
  • Imposter wrote:
    NucDidds wrote:

I wouldn't be relying on this too much. Any additional 'flex' from a longer post will be minimal at best, to the point where I doubt if you will notice.

Sorry I meant 'flex' as in adjust (e.g. shorter stem etc) not physical movement
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    NucDidds wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    NucDidds wrote:

Sorry I meant 'flex' as in adjust (e.g. shorter stem etc) not physical movement

No, that was me.
  • Down. Even a 52 sounds large at 5'7"!

I am 5'6" with a 32" leg and a 48" is my preference. I was advised a 52 for a Caad12 ....... wrong, 50 is fine. If you need a longer reach then you buy a longer stem.
  • Err on the side of smaller as like it's already been stated, it's easier to make a smaller frame fit rather than a frame that is too big for you. It does depend a little on what sort of position you prefer too, I like a racier fit so errr on the side of smaller for frames if I can.
  • Just for comparison, I ride a 52 tarmac and am 5'5". A 52 roubaix will mean you have around 2cm extra seat post showing for the same saddle height when compared to a 54. I have about 18cm of seat post showing, the 3cm shorter stack (and extra seat post height as well) on the 49cm I tried did make a big difference to me in feel of the bike overall. Appreciate that it may be difficult to get hold of a 52 but my advice is try. If I had taken the shops advice and had a 49 I would have dropped a chunk of cash on a bike that did not fit.
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    I would say 52. I'm 5'8 and consider myself between a 52 and a 54. It does largely depend on the reach as some bikes are smaller than others (My 51 has a 591mm reach and my 54 only a 576mm reach) but if the seatpost had to be shortened, then it sounds too big. Did the 54 show less than 100mm of seatpost? Unless its an odd shaped frame like a Diverge, then I would expect to be seeing more.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^^ :?: :?: :?:
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    It all depends if you want something a bit racier or something more comfortable. More comfortable then you should size down.

But I would assume you want comfort since you chose this model instead of the racing line. So size down.