Different left and right crank arms

Karl_Hungus
Karl_Hungus Posts: 2
edited February 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Replacing the pedals on my 2008 Trek 6300 I cross threaded the pedal on the left crank arm and completely stripped the thread. Replacing the crank arm: Do I need to get new left and right crank arms, or can I just get an off brand to replace the left crank arm? I live in France and found a B’twin crank arm for €10 which looks to fit well , but am worried I may throw off the balance (or have some other adverse impact on my bike) by going with two different crank arms. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can use a different crank arm if it fits, it needs to be the same fitting with the same orientation (some square taper are mounted square, some on the diagonal) and is the same length. Try and find one which specifies a similar length BB axle otherwise you may have the crank arm hitting the frame or the pedal too far out.

What is your current crankset?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A decent bike shop will be able to rethread your crank with a steel thread insert e.g. Helicoil or similar
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..