Glue removal

smoggysteve
smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Anyone know of a good glue/gum removal fluid that is safe to use on Carbon rims with out damaging the lacquer or alu rimbrake surface? De-stickered rims and lots of gum residue remains

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    If its just rim decals just mix some lemon juice an warm water it'll remove them safely
  • smoggysteve
    Cheers. I'll give it a try. Save my buying any unnecessary chemical stuff
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Ooo ooo oo I've got this one covered, put a large blob of mago on it leave for 30-60 mins then wipe off

Its voodoo i tell you
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • smoggysteve
    itboffin wrote:
    Ooo ooo oo I've got this one covered, put a large blob of mago on it leave for 30-60 mins then wipe off

Its voodoo i tell you

Mmm. I don't do voodoo

But I do do judo.
  • itboffin
    Trust me it totally works for all things glue, i put it on my beloved Cervelo worked a treat
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    itboffin wrote:

Its voodoo i tell you
    WTF is "mago"?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Depends on the stickers, but a hairdryer to warm it up often works. Failing that, I use coconut oil with some kitchen roll and rubbing.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    Ooo ooo oo I've got this one covered, put a large blob of mayo on it leave for 30-60 mins then wipe off

Its voodoo i tell you
    WTF is "mago"?

:lol:

oops mayo
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Bugger.

[off to clean up the sticky mess made by the mango]
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    IPA.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Citrus Cleaner Goo Gone is magic stuff.
  • smoggysteve
    trek_dan wrote:
    Citrus Cleaner Goo Gone is magic stuff.

I got some Citrus degreaser. Smelled really nice so I drank it. goes well with the muc off cherry flavoured carbon gripper.
  • Easy peasy with acetone, and safe.

Try removing all your tub glue....now that's a tough job!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    A hairdryer borrowed off the wife. Gentle indirect heat applied to the glue areas and wipe away with a cloth and some acetone or white spirit. Doesn't damage the carbon.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.