Missing bleeding nipple?

sunnytour
sunnytour Posts: 15
edited February 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I was about to bleed brakes on my cousins bike, however I've noticed that bleeding nipple on the front caliper was missing or better say it was replaced by allen screw. It's the first time I've seen something similar and have no idea if I should replace the valve or could it even be bled like this.
I believe the brakes are BR446.

http://imgur.com/a/yUuTG

Here is the picture

Any Ideas?
Thanks.

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    It's fine, supposed to be like that.
  • Aaaah. Huge part of why I started mountain biking is all the nipple jokes. I have torx screws, but maybe other brakes have different ones. Or could be that somebody just replaced the screw? As long as the thread is the same, it could be a flat head screw. Wouldn't matter.

EDIT: Oh nevermind. I'm drunk.
  • JGTR
    Ok maybe it's not as it's Shimani, Avids do theirs like this, if it doesn't leak just loosen and bleed, should work. Or buy new nipple
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Needs a nipple to bleed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I don't see how I could bleed it without massive leak as there is nothing but ordinary screw. I will try to get new valve if there is nothing else to do. Just hope those valves are standard and easy to find.
  • cooldad
    Check out how to bleed Shimano brakes and you'll see why you need a nipple.

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Check out how to bleed Shimano brakes and you'll see why you need a nipple.

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/
    I've bled brakes on my bikes before. But all of them were fitted with nipples. That's why I don't know what to do with this one.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Needs a nipple to bleed.

So you have to find one. I'm sure shops have them, or buy a trashed set of brakes cheap, preferably with a working nipple.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Will try to do just that.
    Thanks
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    edited February 2017
    Check the Shimano support downloads they explain the bleed with those brakes. They instead of a bleed nipple/valve have a 3mm allen key opening port, and lower down from there is a separate bleed hole that has a rubber cover. Undo allen key to release oil open rubber covered port to drain off. I have them aswell and was surprised to see no bleed nipples on the brakes. In the OP supplied pic it clearly shows the allen nut and the circular shaped lower rubber drain port cover.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • JGTR
    Google it, loads for sale
  • kirkee
    JGTR wrote:
    RTFQ, not missing in the lost sense!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • kirkee wrote:
    Check the Shimano support downloads they explain the bleed with those brakes. They instead of a bleed nipple/valve have a 3mm allen key opening port, and lower down from there is a separate bleed hole that has a rubber cover. Undo allen key to release oil open rubber covered port to drain off. I have them aswell and was surprised to see no bleed nipples on the brakes. In the OP supplied pic it clearly shows the allen nut and the circular shaped lower rubber drain port cover.

You're absolutely right! There is rubber covered port but I just didn't notice it as I was looking for ordinary bleed nipple, just like the one on the rear break.
    I assumed that both of them were Deore M446, however front one is Altus M355 (looks very similar to M446) and everything makes sense now.
    Thanks!
  • JGTR
    kirkee wrote:
    JGTR wrote:
    RTFQ, not missing in the lost sense!

Refer to my original post then!
  • kirkee
    Fair cop!