rear v roof mounted bike rack

MTBDanno
MTBDanno Posts: 60
edited February 2017 in MTB general
Would you say a rear mounted rack is better than a roof rack for 2 mountain bikes?

Can anyone recommend an affordable one?

Comments

• 1986sv
    1986sv Posts: 83
    Prefer roof mounted personally

If i needed a rear I would go Saris Bones, there's one in the classifieds:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40092&t=13075292
  • 1986sv wrote:

Why do you prefer roof mounted out of interest? are they more secure?
  • With a rear mount, if the bikes cover my number plate, is this going to cause an issue for a legal point of view?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yep you need a seperate plate, and a lightboard if they cover the lights.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

aghhh.. why are roof mounted racks so expensive?!
  • 1986sv
    1986sv Posts: 83
    MTBDanno wrote:
    1986sv wrote:

Why do you prefer roof mounted out of interest? are they more secure?

Unless it's tow bar mounted I prefer the solidity and ease of use of roof mounted, i keep thule wingbars on the car all the time and then it takes a couple of mins to add 591 carriers and lets you use the boot still
  • cooldad
    MTBDanno wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I bought second hand off Ebay. Thule racks and a couple of carriers cost me less than £100. Pretty basic models but work great.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    MTBDanno wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I bought second hand off Ebay. Thule racks and a couple of carriers cost me less than £100. Pretty basic models but work great.

excellent i'll have a look
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Seconded for roof bars. Even though I've got a tall and flat sided car (Fiat Multipla), throwing a few bikes up there is simple and without any of the hassle of lack of access to the boot etc etc that clip on boot carriers have. As it happens I also have a towbar mounted rack (we sometimes carry 7 bikes) and wish I'd bought a more expensive one to be able to tip it and get the bikes on more quickly. Roofbars however are relatively cheap and functional, though we are lazy and do tend to leave them in situ most of the time (with the corresponding diesel penalty).
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • cooldad
    Just try and remember they're there when you drive into places with height restrictions.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Depends on the car. I don't want to cut my rear diffuser to fit a tow hitch so it's roof only for me.
    I'm thinking of getting a couple of these so it's easier to fit
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • If you drive a hatchback, just go for a clip-on one - I used to drive a Peugeot 206 and I never had any problems with carrying my, and my girlfriend's, bikes from Edinburgh to (and from) Glentress.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Roof for me too. They are stable, relatively secure, easy to mount and dismount, don't obscure your vision/lights/number plate, you can use the boot still, and park in the same footprint as usual, plus you will have roof bars which can get your shopping home from IKEA or get a ladder somewhere or some timber home from Travis Perkins. You can't do that with a rear-mounted rack.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    figbat wrote:
    ...plus you will have roof bars which can get your shopping home from IKEA or get a ladder somewhere or some timber home from Travis Perkins.
    Other furniture stores and builders merchants are available!
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Thanks for your input everyone. I ended up getting a decent deal on a Buzzrack bettle 3 rear mounted rack. I couldn't find a roof rack for a decent (cheap) enough price, although I can definitely see the benefits over rear mounted.

Any tips for mounting a ladies bike though... the top tube is too short so I thought about mounting it upside down and strapping it onto the down tube.. thoughts?
  • poucher
    poucher Posts: 102
    MTBDanno wrote:
    Any tips for mounting a ladies bike though...

Yeah,....put it on a roof rack!! :roll:
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Depends on the car. I don't want to cut my rear diffuser to fit a tow hitch so it's roof only for me.
    I'm thinking of getting a couple of these so it's easier to fit
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... lsrc=aw.ds

You may not be able to use the rear ones if you have a spoiler also.

BTW, my bike fitter said someone turned up using those Sea-Suckers a week or two back and one had become detached and was bouncing aound...!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    MTBDanno wrote:
    Any tips for mounting a ladies bike though... the top tube is too short so I thought about mounting it upside down and strapping it onto the down tube.. thoughts?

This may help: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/thul ... prod137643
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    MTBDanno wrote:
    Thanks for your input everyone. I ended up getting a decent deal on a Buzzrack bettle 3 rear mounted rack. I couldn't find a roof rack for a decent (cheap) enough price, although I can definitely see the benefits over rear mounted.

I've used a Halfords high mount rack for years without any issues. Usually with one bike with wheels on for local use around N Manchester. For motorway use I whip off the wheels although I did Llandela by motorway with wheels on. If you're transporting more than one bike regularly, I would get a trailer board.

Roof bar mounts just too much like hard work for me.

Sorry, no obvious fix for ladies bike.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    MTBDanno wrote:
    Any tips for mounting a ladies bike though.
    Make sure she has already dismounted.......or not depending on how lucky you feel?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    For the ladies bike just strap a bit of tube to the frame - obviously as securely as poss and that will proxy the xbar.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie wrote:
    MTBDanno wrote:
    Any tips for mounting a ladies bike though.
    Make sure she has already dismounted.......or not depending on how lucky you feel?

Not very lucky :cry: