Clothing Choice

j_mcd
j_mcd Posts: 473
edited January 2017 in Commuting chat
What sort of kit are people wearing on days like today (upper body-wise). I need a top that is good for the 3-8 degree range (or wider if required) that can keep me dry but won't have me sweating like an angry baboon.

This morning the jersey, arm warmers and gillet weren't really good enough.
Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
Planet X London Road - Wet
Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Something like this is working for me with just the one layer under - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-classic-win ... ll-jacket/
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    SS gabba, ss lightweight base layer and arm warmers are perfect for me at the mo..
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    London-Red wrote:
    SS gabba, ss lightweight base layer and arm warmers are perfect for me at the mo..

This. Although I'm wearing a Fawesome gillet as well.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Craft short sleeve base layer and long sleeve gabba was fine yesterday.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Asprilla wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

A lot more expensive solution than the DHB jacket though ! ;-)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Fenix wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

A lot more expensive solution than the DHB jacket though ! ;-)

Jersey and fawesome gillet works just as well for this weather, I just happened to be wearing my gabba today.

I'd sweat my tits off in a long jacket in weather like this.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    I think I might need some better quality arm warmers than my Garneau ones. Maybe some that are waterproof if they exist.

The continual drizzle didn't help this morning but I really just want a one layer solution for the 3-8 degree range. I can layer up (I've certainly got the kit to do it) but it's just a bit of a faff finding somewhere at work to hang it all up!
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Alpha jersey, short sleeve base layer for today. Long sleeve base with the Alpha jersey down to about 3 degrees.
  • I'm loving my Sportful Grupetto jacket, which i got an amazing deal on in spring last year.

Not waterproof, but resistant enough, a great fit and a brilliant wind-stopper.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,531
    hopkinb wrote:
    Alpha jersey, short sleeve base layer for today. Long sleeve base with the Alpha jersey down to about 3 degrees.

Was going to say Alpha jersey plus a base layer of some sort - Evans have them for £90 at the mo.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Daniel B wrote:
    Was going to say Alpha jersey plus a base layer of some sort - Evans have them for £90 at the mo.

Another vote for the Alpha, tho Trasparente's also a good choice. Or you could do the short sleeve jersey, arm-warmers, base layer, gilet combination that others prefer and spend most of your day putting kit on/off :lol: Each to his own I guess, my s/s Gabba hardly ever gets any use as I'd use my l/s one or one of the aforementioned jackets instead, and my Perfetto Light in warmer weather where I may not need covered arms.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Nanoflex arm warmers if you need some water shedding ability. Or if it's warmth you're after Assos roubaix ones are toasty.

I like my Gore Windstopper softshell this time of year with just a LS baselayer; windproof but breathable, and if it gets too hot I can whip the sleeves off.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    edited January 2017
    Double post
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    keef66 wrote:
    Nanoflex arm warmers if you need some water shedding ability. Or if it's warmth you're after Assos roubaix ones are toasty.

Or the Sportful No Rain ones - just as good and costs less.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • If I venture out shortly, it will be t-shirt; Aldi merino mid layer; PX Hydrosphere jacket; Aldi fluro-yellow gloves. No doubt I will have to lose the gloves just before attacking a hill, but fingerless gloves might be a bit nippy just after heading off downhill.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo