Stiff Gear

v199629
v199629 Posts: 5
edited January 2017 in Workshop
Hello, I have a hybrid bike and use it every day to go to university. Recently, the gear become stiffer and very difficult to change to 3rd gear at the front derailleur. I have altered the cable for front derailuer before and it is now worn.

1. Is the main reason unable to shift gear to a worn cable?
2. I try to adjust how limit screw (the low limit works) but the high limit one does not alter the position of derailuer in anyway, any suggestion?
3. My rear mudguard is broken and thinking of replacing it. Is it necessary to have a mudguard? (Sometimes at weekend I do cycle for long distance on towpaths).

Thanks.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited January 2017
    v199629 wrote:
    1. Is the main reason unable to shift gear to a worn cable?
    1. A worn gear cable can cause problems shifting, but so can the other components involved in the shift (lever, FD, etc.). If a cable is clearly worn then just replace. They cost less than a fiver.
    v199629 wrote:
    2. I try to adjust how limit screw (the low limit works) but the high limit one does not alter the position of derailuer in anyway, any suggestion?
    2. Sounds like there is not enough tension in the cable. You should connect the cable finger tight in the lowest chainring setting, shift up to a highest chainring setting and then use the barrel adjusters to get enough tension to pull the cable across to the limit.
    v199629 wrote:
    3. My rear mudguard is broken and thinking of replacing it. Is it necessary to have a mudguard? (Sometimes at weekend I do cycle for long distance on towpaths).
    3. Mudguards are a personal thing. Some ride without, some always ride with. At this time of year a mudguard will really help keep your bike clean, your arse clean and the mechs all functioning well, or you ride without and clean/lube/maintain frequently.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Try giving the front derailleur pivots/spring a soaking with penetrating fluid (wd40 / GT85 etc) and work it in by repeatedly pulling the cable from under the down tube. They can seize up. Make sure your adjustments to the limit screws (H/L) aren't stopping the derailleur shifting properly.
  • Thanks for the reply. I have taken my bike to check and cable was replaced and the shifter was lubricated. They also suggest to replace the front derailleur which they say is bent. How does a bent derailleur affect shifting?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Depends what they mean by bent, if the cage guide plates are bent and out of alignment, you will have problems shifting from one chainring to the other/derail the chain. The guide plates could make contact with the inside face of the crank arm and/or wheel rim and tyre, depending on how bad it is.