New wheel and cassette grinding

ashnorman
ashnorman Posts: 20
edited February 2017 in Workshop
I bought a new wheel, cassette and trainer tyre to use as a training wheel on my turbo but theres a grinding sound coming from the cassette. Any ideas?
My 'main' wheel is a mavic ksyrium elite s with a 10 speed tiagra cassette. No issues with that on the road or the turbo.
For the trainer wheel I bought a cheap wheel (Mach 1 Omega Rim 700c Black with Shimano 10 Speed Cassette Hub) and a 10 speed tiagra cassette.
All seems to fit fine but it definitely feels like theres some friction when pedalling and a definite grinding sound.
When I put my main wheel back on, all is fine again. Any ideas?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Sounds like a simple case of either the bearings are knackered or the pre-load is too tight?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    its definitely a grinding from the cassette/hub and not chain rub where the new wheel is slightly off the position of the old one and requiring the chain to be re-aligned a tad for that wheel
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    The gears may need indexing/ adjusting slightly to match the new wheel. That would be awkward if swapping between the two wheels though.
    Also check if there are spacers, or not, behind the original cassette and the new one.
    Could be a worn chain against the new cassette?
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Sounds like a simple case of either the bearings are knackered or the pre-load is too tight?

The wheel with the problem is the new one. Brand new wheel hub and cassette so even though it was a cheap one Id hope the bearings are fine. Ill try loosening the pre-load though, see if that solves it.
  • fat daddy wrote:
    its definitely a grinding from the cassette/hub and not chain rub where the new wheel is slightly off the position of the old one and requiring the chain to be re-aligned a tad for that wheel

Sorry, yes, it does sound like the chain is rubbing on the cassette, not the bearing, almost as if it is slightly mis-aligned. I don't want to re-align the chain though as then it wont align with my 'main' wheel
  • dwanes wrote:
    The gears may need indexing/ adjusting slightly to match the new wheel. That would be awkward if swapping between the two wheels though.
    Also check if there are spacers, or not, behind the original cassette and the new one.
    Could be a worn chain against the new cassette?

Both have a spacer fitted before the cassette so no difference there. I did suspect it may be a worn chain / new cassette problem but if I put a new chain on am I then going to have a similar problem with my 'main' wheel and need to change that cassette as well?
    I suspect fixing the problem for the new wheel is going to create a problem for the old one
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    It might not need much of an align ... mine just require a twisting of the barrel to get it quiet ... takes about 15 seconds
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If it's a new wheel chances are it has an 11 sp freehub and hence you need the 1.85 mm spacer supplied with the wheel. How old is the older wheel - if this is a 10 speed freehub you shouldn't be using a spacer with a 10spd tiagra cassette.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Alternatively if the old wheel's a Mavic you'd have had the Mavic spacer on before a Tiagra 10 speed cassette and if the new one is a 10 speed Shimano freehub you don't need a spacer at all...