Perfetto stitching issue

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all. I have a Castelli Perfetto short sleeve which I bought late last October from Wiggle. For one reason and another I haven't got to use it for more than 2 or 3 rides, but noticed when trying it on this weekend that the stitching on the shoulder / arm is really poor. Its a large but I'm only 38" chest, and have long and short sleeve Gabbas in medium which fit great. They also seem much better made. Here are some pics:
20170130_192041_zpsmztmtnr4.jpg
20170130_192058_zpsgmoxusig.jpg
20170130_192041_zpsmztmtnr4.jpg
Worrying over nothing, or should I return as faulty? Hardly "premium" stitch craft.....
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Castelli - premise price but not quality.
    They sent me some shorts with the name misaligned over the back.

I'd send it back.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    But he had it since last October?!

Whats the warranty period?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Wiggle are usually pretty good at sorting issues with clothing, provided its within 12 months of you purchasing it and that the damage has not been caused through neglect or a crash.
    It is pretty clear from those images that the issue is the stitching and likely a manufacturing fault, so contact wiggle. Chances are you will get a refund/replacement.
  • hsiaolc wrote:

A year
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I think probably all clothing mfrs have similar issues - I think where Castelli fail is on quality control. I went through 3 pairs of free aero bibshorts before I got my first pair that was acceptable. All have been fine since then but on the first the stitching for the pad had torn the short material, on the second the leg gripper with the castelli name was cut wrong with the bottom half of the name at the top, a white line underneath and then the top half of the name at the bottom. The third pair had the same leg gripper with the name - UPSIDE DOWN!

As I said, I am sure others have faulty items but probably stop them leaving the factory by quality control - this QC doesnt seem to exist at the Castelli factory...
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    hsiaolc wrote:

A year

Thats good to know.

So far all the Castelli items that I have are great except for the deep winter glove. Not sure what material they used for the fingers but I've only used it a handful of times and they are already falling apart! The materials are disintegrating and disappearing right in front of my eyes. I have never seen anything or any material like that.

It is good then to have some Rapha items since they are guaranteed for life (except anything merino).
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Contacted Wiggle who said to return for a refund (or replacement, we'll see). Generally my Castelli kit has been pretty solid, although had to return each pair of CX Sam Remo skin suits I ordered last year due to stitching issues. I also have a fair bit of Sportful kit, and have had loads more QC issues with their stuff. Quite a few got returned due to rubbish stitching, but the replacements (R&D wind jersey, r&d bib longs, Fiandre light LS tops x 2) have been top notch and are lasting well. Would far rather they were great quality from the off though, without the variability in quality.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • sebbyp
    sebbyp Posts: 106
    doesnt look great does it.
    I'm struggling with the best chammy castelli have? the progetto 2 or whatever it is. they are coming apart at the stiching in the actual pad construction in both the aero bibs and nano pro tights. wont buy another castelli product with this pad.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    sebbyp wrote:
    doesnt look great does it.
    I'm struggling with the best chammy castelli have? the progetto 2 or whatever it is. they are coming apart at the stiching in the actual pad construction in both the aero bibs and nano pro tights. wont buy another castelli product with this pad.

I have done around 15,000 miles on those pads - no problems with them provided you get one that is stitched right to start with.
  • I am just about to return a Castelli Perfetto Long sleeve,

I have owned it for just under 3 months, worn about 3 times, and the seam seals on the zip have stated to fall apart.

I have Castelli Gabba jackets which are years old and still going strong. I too fear that the quality is not the same as the original garment Perfetto? I don't think so :)