Lock-on grips rounded allen key bolt! Help

pseymour
pseymour Posts: 194
edited January 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just bought a second hand bike and came to swap the grips to find that those tiny allen key nuts have been rounded off on the last remaining screw. Any help appreciated. I was considering junior hacksawing off the aluminium collar to release it. Its the inside collar thats rounded off not the one near the end of the grip (that one was missing!) thanks, pete
Giant Anthem X3 2010.

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Hacksaw
  • If a hex screw is stripped, it can sometimes still be undone by a torx bit of appropriate size.
    If that doesn't work, a one or two sizes larger hex bit can sometimes be forced in by hammer, deforming the screw and allowing you to unscrew it with a larger bit. If doing this, just make sure you're not going to deform something other than the screw - alu bends easily when hit hard repeatedly.

Other than that, it's the nuclear options, be it an angle grinder, drill, hacksaw, or whatever.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If they are just clamps and not grub screws a hard pull should get them off. Unless they were fitted by an unfeeling gorilla.

Which sounds possible.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Try putting an elastic band over the bolt head and then force the allen key in to that.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    Try putting an elastic band over the bolt head and then force the allen key in to that.
    Usually doesn't work on bolts that are too tight. Works wonders on the tiny screws in laptops though.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    I'd go for the drill.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two