Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Campag Shamal C17, Mavic Kysrium Pro SL, or Dura Ace C24?

evrenevren Posts: 18
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi folks,

I'm looking at some new lighter rims for my Trek Emonda aimed at hill climbing and general all round use. After some research, three sets that struck me were the Campag Shamal C17, Mavic Ksyrium Pro SL and the Shimano Dura Ace C24.

What are your experiences with these wheelsets? All have pretty decent reviews with the exception of a handful of people complaining about Mavic hubs. The Campag looks nice as well - I prefer the 17mm rim as opposed to the 15 on the Mavic, the hubs also sound as though they're better quality.
My budget is around the £7/800 mark as i'll use the cycle 2 work scheme for these, so should see a decent discount.

Any advice/recommendtions for other wheelsets are also more than welcome. Generaly looking at a pair of light 25 section wheels that wont cost a packet.

Also this is likely worthy of being another post on its own but cheap rims aside theres a Chinese company called Yoeleo that *seem* as though they're making some decent wheels - both carbon and carbon/alloy. Anyone use these? They look as though they've got some quality control and consistency in place which seems to be eliminating the usual lottery issue when buying cheap Chinese rims. Some good hub options as well.

Thanks,
Evren

Posts

  • teebs_123teebs_123 Posts: 348
    evren wrote:
    Hi folks,

    I'm looking at some new lighter rims for my Trek Emonda aimed at hill climbing and general all round use. After some research, three sets that struck me were the Campag Shamal C17, Mavic Ksyrium Pro SL and the Shimano Dura Ace C24.

    What are your experiences with these wheelsets? All have pretty decent reviews with the exception of a handful of people complaining about Mavic hubs. My budget is around the £7/800 mark as i'll use the cycle 2 work scheme for these, so should see a decent discount.

    Any advice/recommendtions for other wheelsets are also more than welcome. Generaly looking at a pair of light 25 section wheels that wont cost a packet.

    Also this is likely worthy of being another post on its own but cheap rims aside theres a Chinese company called Yoeleo that *seem* as though they're making some decent wheels - both carbon and carbon/alloy. Anyone use these? They look as though they've got some quality control and consistency in place which seems to be eliminating the usual lottery issue when buying cheap Chinese rims. Some good hub options as well.

    Thanks,
    Evren

    I would have a look at if any shops can offer some hand-built wheels on cycle to work scheme

    That budget would get some lovely wheels that can be rebuilt time and time again. Generally speaking, the factory options are throw away once the rim is worn.

    That's what I would do (and have done, twice)
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • evrenevren Posts: 18
    teebs_123 wrote:
    evren wrote:
    Hi folks,

    I'm looking at some new lighter rims for my Trek Emonda aimed at hill climbing and general all round use. After some research, three sets that struck me were the Campag Shamal C17, Mavic Ksyrium Pro SL and the Shimano Dura Ace C24.

    What are your experiences with these wheelsets? All have pretty decent reviews with the exception of a handful of people complaining about Mavic hubs. My budget is around the £7/800 mark as i'll use the cycle 2 work scheme for these, so should see a decent discount.

    Any advice/recommendtions for other wheelsets are also more than welcome. Generaly looking at a pair of light 25 section wheels that wont cost a packet.

    Also this is likely worthy of being another post on its own but cheap rims aside theres a Chinese company called Yoeleo that *seem* as though they're making some decent wheels - both carbon and carbon/alloy. Anyone use these? They look as though they've got some quality control and consistency in place which seems to be eliminating the usual lottery issue when buying cheap Chinese rims. Some good hub options as well.

    Thanks,
    Evren

    I would have a look at if any shops can offer some hand-built wheels on cycle to work scheme

    That budget would get some lovely wheels that can be rebuilt time and time again. Generally speaking, the factory options are throw away once the rim is worn.

    That's what I would do (and have done, twice)


    Thanks Teebs,

    Will have a look - Planet X do a couple of handbuilt wheels I think, but not seen others do it.
    The budget wasnt that high tbh, but with prettty much 30% off, should be able to get a £700 set for roughly around £500.

    Evren
  • northpolenorthpole Posts: 1,499
    Perhaps a slightly indelicate question - how much do you weigh?

    If you are over 90-95kg you may be pushing the relatively light weight factory build wheelsets. Someone like Wheelsmith on this forum can offer handbuilt options with higher spoke counts/ stronger spokes on decent hubs with decent rims.

    If you are a weight weenie then frankly each of the wheelsets you mention are good quality.

    The Campy Shamal come out of the same factory as Fulcrum Racing Zero and can be bought with the special coated brake surfaces. Similar to the Mavic. Shimano do not offer coated rims - perhaps in the Japanese tradition of being conservative and proving the technology before going to market. (There have been many folks who experienced problems of the coatings being worn off by sharpies stuck in the brake pads). Personally I would stick with traditional alloy rims, no coatings!

    I have had Fulcrum Racing Zero's and Dura Ace 7900's and Mavic C40's and had no problem with the hubs of any of them (I am on the verge of tipping the scales). My personal preference is for the Fulcrums (same as Shamal) - they feel slightly stiffer. I dare say an influencing factor may be the groupset you use - whether campy or shimano. I haven't tried out the latest breed of slightly wider rims - probably influenced by my best bike frame not taking 25mm tyres! Also, I don't think they warrant the additional expenditure the current market is seeking.

    I doubt you'd be disappointed with any of the three you have listed, subject perhaps to your weight!

    Peter
  • evrenevren Posts: 18
    northpole wrote:
    Perhaps a slightly indelicate question - how much do you weigh?

    If you are over 90-95kg you may be pushing the relatively light weight factory build wheelsets. Someone like Wheelsmith on this forum can offer handbuilt options with higher spoke counts/ stronger spokes on decent hubs with decent rims.

    If you are a weight weenie then frankly each of the wheelsets you mention are good quality.

    The Campy Shamal come out of the same factory as Fulcrum Racing Zero and can be bought with the special coated brake surfaces. Similar to the Mavic. Shimano do not offer coated rims - perhaps in the Japanese tradition of being conservative and proving the technology before going to market. (There have been many folks who experienced problems of the coatings being worn off by sharpies stuck in the brake pads). Personally I would stick with traditional alloy rims, no coatings!

    I have had Fulcrum Racing Zero's and Dura Ace 7900's and Mavic C40's and had no problem with the hubs of any of them (I am on the verge of tipping the scales). My personal preference is for the Fulcrums (same as Shamal) - they feel slightly stiffer. I dare say an influencing factor may be the groupset you use - whether campy or shimano. I haven't tried out the latest breed of slightly wider rims - probably influenced by my best bike frame not taking 25mm tyres! Also, I don't think they warrant the additional expenditure the current market is seeking.

    I doubt you'd be disappointed with any of the three you have listed, subject perhaps to your weight!

    Peter


    Hi Peter,

    I'm 78k so I should be ok. I remember reading about Campag owning Fulcrum or something similar so thats no surprise. The ceramic bearings also tickled my fancy. Ultegra mech groupset here, but that should be ok with the Campy.

    I also dont want any coated rims - just standard alloys; correct me if I'm wrong but is it the Shamal Mille that has the funky breaking surface, bit like the Mavic Kysrium Pro Exalith? Will google it now but I believe the Shamal C17 is standard alloy with no coating.

    Evren
  • Shamal Mille use the black coating, the ultra doesn't. Same for the Fulcrum racing zero and the racing zero nite

    Not sure how you use the cycle to work scheme and if it only works on certain websites but PBK have shamal ultras dark label for £624 with an extra £25 off!

    Sigma sport have the fulcrum racing zero's cheap too.
  • evrenevren Posts: 18
    Shamal Mille use the black coating, the ultra doesn't. Same for the Fulcrum racing zero and the racing zero nite

    Not sure how you use the cycle to work scheme and if it only works on certain websites but PBK have shamal ultras dark label for £624 with an extra £25 off!

    Sigma sport have the fulcrum racing zero's cheap too.

    Cheers Scott, something tells me I'll end up with the campags...

    They changed the cycle2work rules so you can get accessories, wheels etc with the scheme as well and use it once a year. So it's pretty much 30% off so that should save a fair whack on rims.
Sign In or Register to comment.