Left crank thread ruined...PLEASE HELP

2»

Comments

• I had a similar issue so sent mine to https://highpath.co.uk and they fitted a new thread. Good as new, although it does take a little while. They might be able to provide a faster service if it's urgent.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    So a £10 square taper crank arm off Ebay is the cheapest option then...
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Svetty wrote:
    :|
    lesfirth wrote:
    You could try threading the pedal (or if you have another one as it's thread will be cleaner ) from the reverse side of the crank to recut and clean the threads. If this is successful try rethreading from the correct way with a bit of plumbers threadlock tape. This may help it grip the bits that have been damaged.

Total boll0cks. :roll:

If a 9.99 crank will do, that is the cheapest fix, but a repair is quite simple and will not be a bodge. It will be as good as new.

The OP has stated in the second post that the pedal threads in fully but then unwinds itself eventually. This is not a crossed thread or you would never get that far. No suggestion the pedal is loose inside the crank arm as in the outer part at broke from the rest. If anything its probably just missing a washer from the end as a nut and bolt only stop when you nip it tight. The fact it winds in fine suggests to me all is ok until this point. The threads could be slightly damaged on the way but not enouth to cause cross threading. You dont have to be an expert in bikes or pedals to understand how a fooking nut and bolt works

I think he (lesfirth) meant to quote the previous posting (AK_jnr) not SmoggySteve's .....

No I did not.

I am sorry if it is not clear but my second paragraph is aimed at those who are not aware that a crank can be satisfactorily repaired.