Replacement rear wheel?

electriclinux
electriclinux Posts: 33
edited January 2017 in Workshop
I have had a Cannondale Synapse Disc 5 105 2014 Road Bike (Link)and love it with one exception and that is the rear wheel. I may have gotten a lemon but it keeps breaking spokes unlike another other bike I have ever had. I have had them fixed in the past but this is going to be the fifth one and I want to get a new wheel instead of fixing it.
I ride in Belfast (not the best roads but nothing that should of damaged a wheel).
Any suggestions?

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Depending on your bodyweight and riding style, you might benefit from a handbuilt rear wheel with more spokes, i.e. 28 or 32.
    Rim to be chosen as a match with the front wheel...
  • Current it is 28 and my weight is around 80kg.
  • keezx
    On a proper built wheel 28 spokes rear and 80 kg is no problem at all.
    I heve checked the specs and they seem to indicate 15G spokes which might be your problem
    Hubs and rims are pretty low end stuff but that should not give you spoke breakage.
    Seek yourself a wheelbuilder which can rebuild the wheel with 14/16G spokes (double butted), they have stronger elbows and should last much longer.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As above, it's a relatively cheap wheel, once it starts breaking spokes the rest are on a finite life, either order up a decent rear/set or find someone locally selling a decent rear wheel used.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 283
    If you're in belfast you should maybe try velo cafe magasin, see about having a new rear wheel built up
  • Update: Based on recommendations I went to the LBS and got a Mavic Aksium Disc Wheelset.
  • keezx
    Waiting for the next message about broken spokes.....