Campy ergo shifters rebuild problem

andygo
andygo Posts: 39
edited January 2017 in Workshop
Hi
I'm trying to overhaul a set of 1st generation Campag Ergo shifters. They are the 9 speed version with the pointy hoods. The spring carrier was broken in the right hand shifter so I've replaced the carrier and the g springs.

I followed the (10 speed) Campag video to put it back together https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OocYpHXJ3Y as well as info from this website http://www.nuttycyclist.co.uk/cycling/ergo-rebuild.htm

Since mine are 1st generation the parts are not exactly the same (mine seem to have a few more washers) but they are close enough.

All goes well until I tighten up the main axle bolt. If I leave the bolt loose it will shift up and down ok (albeit the thumb shifter feels quite stiff). But as soon as I tighten up the bolt it also tightens both levers so they won't move, or if they do that won't return.

I'm obviously doing something wrong - but I can't work out what it is.

On a possibly related note I seem to have a rogue small washer which I can't tell where it's supposed to go. The internals were covered in grease and dirt and I only discovered it after I'd dismantled everything. For the life of me I can't remember where it was originally.

I'm wondering if it's the one which appears at 2:43 on the Campag rebuild video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OocYpHXJ3Y which fits on top of the paddle shifter.IMG_4648_zpsocrftqrz.jpg/i]

That washer is missing on the 9 speed 1st generation diagram. (But having said that the flat washer which sits between the spring carrier and the rachet mechanism is also missing).

IMG_4627_zps4erivruz.jpg/i]

Here's a similar exploded view of the parts for my shifter. The g springs are inside the spring carrier.
IMG_4646_zpsnoea4msj.jpg/i]

The rogue washer is the one on top IMG_4645_zpsyygxkel9.jpg/i]

This is the flat washer between the spring carrier and ratchet IMG_4647_zpscaai1mbm.jpg/i]

I'm also wondering how much grease to use. The official Campag video uses none (but that may be to help see what's going on). Others suggest greasing only the g springs, but on other forums people have suggested lightly greasing everything....

I'm confused and head is starting to hurt,

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Andy

Comments

• andygo
    Okay so gonna answer my own question!
    After a few cups of tea and going over the steps again I realised I was putting that flat washer in the wrong place.
    It goes between the spring carrier and the ratchet (i was putting it on the ratchet).
    All works ok now....still wondering if I've used too much/enough grease. Suppose time will tell.
    Mods feel free to delete this thread!
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    This would make a good (and useful) James May programme...
    Half man, Half bike
  • andygo
    Ha, would be more entertaining watching Clarkson try it...and then throw it against a wall (or at some poor production lackey)