Choice between 2 low end forks - Is it worth the worry?

MrNJP
MrNJP Posts: 8
edited January 2017 in MTB buying advice
I've bought a bike that I can afford and it's got low end forks (2016 Suntour XCT HLO 29") but at least they have a hydraulic lockout. Now, a bike I wanted but was too expensive has come right down in price (now cheaper than the bike I have in my garage) and it's tempting me. It has 2016 Suntour XCR 32s which I'm pretty sure are a bit superior.

I've not used the new bike at all and 'legally' I could take it back for a refund but I don't really want to upset my LBS.

Is it worth the hassle or should I just be happy with what I've got and upgrade when necessary?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The XC32 are massively better than an XCT, much stiffer and proper damping. Will the bike shop take the bike vback though, there is no right to a refund for changing your mind!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MrNJP
    MrNJP Posts: 8
    The Rookie wrote:
    The XC32 are massively better than an XCT, much stiffer and proper damping. Will the bike shop take the bike vback though, there is no right to a refund for changing your mind!

Thanks for the reply - in a way, not the answer I was hoping for! Don't want to mention names but it's a national bike retailer and they have a 30 day no questions return policy on anything unused (which it totally is). They have been extremely friendly and helpful which is why I'm agonising. The other bike is at another retailer but an online only one.

I'm not a hard core rider, so I'm wondering if It will be a lot of angst for not much return. Bad timing.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Use your rights - if unused as you say, then you can return for refund or exchange within the period outlined. Maybe the retailer has a better bike that you can exchange it for for a small extra outlay?

Forks do make a big difference, even for less hardcore rider, and the XCR is noticeably better than the XCT.