Tyre sizing

FatLassOnaBike
FatLassOnaBike Posts: 17
edited February 2017 in Commuting general
I have just picked up on the cheap a new commuting bike (A GT Palomar (1998ish) and looking to change the current knobbly tires to at least semi slicks so that I can use it for work

The current tyre side is 26 x 2.10 and while I seem to be able to find plenty of communiting tyres in my price bracket up to a 26 x 2.0 I don't seem to be able to find anything but knobbys in the right size

so question is, can I go down a side to the 2.0 safely, or is there any tyre that you know of which would fit the bill as well as the size :?: :?:

ta muchly!

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I don't know what size rims you have as they may be different to the originals, but as they are still probably MTB rims even down to 1.8 would be OK.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The rims on the Palomar are fairly narrow, I'd be going to a 1.5" slick at the most or even something like the Deacthon 1.2".

There is no such thing as the right tyre size on a bike, it's the right tyre size for the job in hand that's suitable for the rim.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    On that sort of bike, if you are already used to the feel of 2.1 inch rubber, I would opt for 2 inch slick or semi-slick tyres.

I have had Marathon Supreme tyres in size 2 inch for a few years now and only ever got one puncture over several thousands of miles in London and outside of London.

Here is my review of the tyres from when I installed them:

http://wokinghamcyclist.blogspot.co.uk/ ... preme.html
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    fnegroni wrote:
    On that sort of bike, if you are already used to the feel of 2.1 inch rubber, I would opt for 2 inch slick or semi-slick tyres.

I have had Marathon Supreme tyres in size 2 inch for a few years now and only ever got one puncture over several thousands of miles in London and outside of London.

Here is my review of the tyres from when I installed them:

http://wokinghamcyclist.blogspot.co.uk/ ... preme.html

I have heard that they are bringing out a tubeless-easy version of those - might give it a go. I hate changing tyres at side of road on my commute so I ride inch and a half marathon plusses - but they are stiff and so heavy (each one weighs more than my weekend road bikes frame) - dropping some weight and rigidity and going tubeless seems like a possible plan
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    imatfaal wrote:
    I have heard that they are bringing out a tubeless-easy version of those - might give it a go.

You might already know this, but I recently invested in an Airshot to aid inflating tubeless tyres and it made it a doddle.

They now sell several options of track pumps with a built in pre-charge chamber.

I posted about it recently here:
    http://wokinghamcyclist.blogspot.co.uk/ ... cross.html