Tiagra 4700 crankset and 11 speed

markhewitt1978
markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
edited January 2017 in Workshop
I have a Tiagra 4700 '10 speed' crankset on my indoor bike. This one http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod137765

I'm planning on upgrading it to 11 speed but obviously I'd rather not have to shell out for a new crankset, normally they work across speeds - just want to check that the Tiagra will work with an 11 speed chain?

(I actually have a 6800 '11 speed' crankset on my outdoor bike which is otherwise 10 speed, yes I know it's backwards!)

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Not personally ventured beyond 10 speed, but as I understand it, you'll be fine.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    @ OP You are upgrading your indoor bike ? :shock: :shock:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:

Been trying to get the tiagra mech dialled in for a year now. It's just not having it. I get it sorted a week later it's way off again. So upgrade to 11 speed will hopefully be better and give me a bigger gear range at the same time so I can stay I. the big ring.
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    most reviews say it should be fine, even though 11 speed chains are narrower than 10s. I went from 9 to 10 spd on my training bike and left the 9 spd cranks on.. everything is super smooth. The only issue I have found is that I need to double click the shifters from the big to small chain rings as the FD doesn't move over fully with 1 click and the chain sometimes likes to get stuck in-between the 2. Prob a way to index them better but Im happy to double click
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Svetty wrote:

Been trying to get the tiagra mech dialled in for a year now. It's just not having it. I get it sorted a week later it's way off again. So upgrade to 11 speed will hopefully be better and give me a bigger gear range at the same time so I can stay I. the big ring.

There is nothing intrinsically "better" about 11 speed.

BTW, I don't get the comment about going from 10 to 11 speed to help you stay in the big ring....surely the answer is just get a bigger penultimate cog at the back by changing the cassette (and RD if approp) or wind the turbo resistance down a small tad??? Seems a big change you are doing just to get a slightly smaller gear. Another much easier option would be to change the big ring, say 50 to 48???
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    BTW, I don't get the comment about going from 10 to 11 speed to help you stay in the big ring....surely the answer is just get a bigger penultimate cog at the back by changing the cassette (and RD if approp) or wind the turbo resistance down a small tad??? Seems a big change you are doing just to get a slightly smaller gear. Another much easier option would be to change the big ring, say 50 to 48???

Yes I could get a bigger cassette, but in order to do so I have to change the rear mech, so might as well go 11 speed into the bargain.
  • This will work fine, the internal diameter of the 11spd chain is the same as a 10spd chain so it will work fine with 10 spd chain rings.

Currently running a 10spd set-up on 11spd chain rings with no issues. If you need some professional confirmation just google Leonard Zinn's FAQs.