15mm TA to 12mm conversion

Nick Payne
Nick Payne Posts: 288
edited January 2017 in Workshop
I want to fit some MTB 650b wheels I have to my cross bike to use for touring, as the smaller wheel will allow me to fit both a larger tyre plus mudguards. The rear wheel is a straight swap, as both MTB and Cross frame use 142x12 TA, but the fork on the cross bike uses a 12mm TA, whereas the MTB front wheel (DT Swiss 1501) uses a 15mm TA. Googling hasn't turned up an actual DT Swiss part to do the conversion.

I did find a couple of third party options being offered on fleabay, one being a pair of endcaps to reduce the inner diameter at each end of the axle to 12mm, the other being a 100mm long cylinder with 15mm O.D. and 12mm I.D. Any opinions on the relative merits of the two options?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Without seeing the end caps it's hard to say, is there anything to stop them sliding further into the hub? If so will that interfere with fit against the fork? The 100mm sleeve will work and is simple, might be awkward to get out if it sticks. Whatever you go for use copper grease or something so it doesn't get stuck.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I think you'd be better posting on the MTB forum where they'll have far more experience of the TA system
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Sleeve sounds a better option, would spread the load more evenly. Better than point loads at each end
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Sleeve sounds a better option, would spread the load more evenly. Better than point loads at each end
    My first thought was that a sleeve may seize in place if it's in contact along it's entire length, but it won't be as there will only be contact with the bearings. So if the end caps are at least as deep as the bearings that will make no difference. But I would agree that the sleeve seems the better option.
  • Well, I eventually found that DT Swiss do sell an adapter kit to change the hub to 12mm TA. The wheels are DT Swiss XM 1501 Spline One, which use the 240s hubs, and the adapter kit for the front hub is part number HWGXXX00S7000S. €26 from bike24.com.