Genesis Core 50 Front Wheel Bearing

offshore1
offshore1 Posts: 30
edited January 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I am a very poor bike mechanic, but have a feeling the front bearing may be failing on my 5 year old Genesis Core 50 MTB.

I will have a closer look tomorrow in the daylight.

Due to the bikes age I was wondering if it would be possible to buy a replacement complete front wheel , rather than just the front hub bearing assembly. From my original purchase document:

Hubs :Shimano SLX C-L 20mm front axle
Rims : DT Swiss X430D 32 hole

It is a thru axle centre lock arrangement.

This is the only expensive bike I have ever bought - my other bikes have basically been scrapped for other reasons than wheel bearings, so I am completely ignorant of the issues involved.

Should I try and locate a complete front wheel or try and get the bearing / hub replaced ??

Thanks for any help

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If they are cup and cone, open it up, clean it out, add nice clean grease and put it back together. Replace the balls if they look pitted. Probably cost all of £1.

If cartridge (I think Shimano are all cup and cone but could be wrong) take them out and replace.

Google up a Youtube video if you're not sure.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shimano are all cup and cone.

Breakdown pictures available on the Shimano techdocs website.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the replies on that.

Forgive my ignorance - I sort of assumed the hub itself was a sealed integral unit that would need to be replaced entirely (hence my question about buying a complete new wheel).

I also assumed that all bearings on mid price upward mountain bikes would be sealed bearings - due to the wet and dirt.

Reading the Tec Documents mentioned (thanks for link) I learn that shimano fit old fashioned cone and cup bearings (I assume they are old fashioned).

I am a bit disappointed in all this! Such is life.

More investigation is now due.
  • 'Cup and cone' and 'cartridge' bearings can both be sealed or unsealed.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nothing wrong with cup and cone. A bit of routine maintenence and they last forever. New balls are really cheap.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bearing element in all hubs is serviceable to some degree, cup and cone style often just need a basic service or at worst new balls for pennies. I had a Shimano front hub do 2000 miles between simple services.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.