Fork service

asaf123098
asaf123098 Posts: 33
edited May 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, i have the Rock Shox XC 32TK 120 taper fork, and i think its about time to give it a service, is there any tutorial on how to do it?

Thanks!!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Go to the support section of rockshoxs website, all you need is there.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • found it in the rockshox site, thanks!!!
  • Hi, i looked at the manual:

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.net ... n_xc32.pdf

And im a bit confused, does the XC32 has one tube with a solo air spring and one tube with a coil? thanks.
  • The Rookie
    No.

Its either got an air spring OR a coil in the left hand leg (as you sit on the bike) and the hydraulic damper is in the right hand leg. So you need to follow EITHER 14-17 or 20-22, not both!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ok, so how can i tell which one ive got?

I have a preload knob, so im guessing that i have a coil?
  • ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    asaf123098 wrote:
    Ok, so how can i tell which one ive got?

I have a preload knob, so im guessing that i have a coil?

Yes you are correct
  • thank you both very much!!
  • Hi, got another question, if i have an automobile grease, is it ok to use it in the fork?
    Or do i have to use the grease that is in the fork's service manual?

Thanks.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use ordinary WB grease in mine.

But that's not a recommendation.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ade555
    asaf123098 wrote:
    Hi, got another question, if i have an automobile grease, is it ok to use it in the fork?
    Or do i have to use the grease that is in the fork's service manual?

Thanks.

I used normal grease before just for the coil it self, what sort of service you doing?
  • My fork feels a bit tired, moving slower than i remembered it could, when i spray just a little bit of lube in it, it gets a few minutes of being really fast, so i guessed it needs a change of the fork oil, grease, maybe o-rings and a clean up (Just like in the manual).
    I bought the fork more than a year ago, and the rebound is set on the fastest and still pretty slow.
    So i need the grease just for the coil, and as for the fork oil, ill get the rockshox one.

I have the rockshox xc32 fork, thats the manual:

• ade555
    asaf123098 wrote:
    My fork feels a bit tired, moving slower than i remembered it could, when i spray just a little bit of lube in it, it gets a few minutes of being really fast, so i guessed it needs a change of the fork oil, grease, maybe o-rings and a clean up (Just like in the manual).
    I bought the fork more than a year ago, and the rebound is set on the fastest and still pretty slow.
    So i need the grease just for the coil, and as for the fork oil, ill get the rockshox one.

I have the rockshox xc32 fork, thats the manual:

If you can get rockshox oil cheap then yes but Halfords do Volvoline fork oil for £9 per liter, also don't forget new seals with foam rings.
  • Thanks, im currently looking to order a service kit for my fork (xc32 coil spring), couldnt find any in the local shops, is there a good website the sells bike acc and parts? thanks.
  • cooldad
    Plenty on Ebay, just search for Rockshox 32 seal kit.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • i already looked on ebay, all of the options are for the xc32 solo air, im looking for the coil spring..
  • The Rookie
    Just get the air one and have some left over o-rings!
  • cooldad
    Standard kit is wiper seals, foam rings and crush washers.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I thought that the air kit has different parts, so you say it only has a few orings more?
  • cooldad
    If you have coils you don't need to worry about air.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    asaf123098 wrote:
    I thought that the air kit has different parts, so you say it only has a few orings more?

Dust seals and foam rings are the same, the damper leg is the same, but the kit will include a few o-rings (3 from memory) for the air spring you won't need.
  • cooldad
    Make it simple

Official service kit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Shox-Ser ... SwU8hY58s4
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Although I'd get some of these, crazily cheaper than anywhere else.

https://ukcyclecentre.co.uk/rockshox-32 ... 32skf.html
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ok, thanks!!
  • asaf123098
    asaf123098 Posts: 33
    Hi, as for the same fork, is isopropyl alcohol really nessecery?
    is there a website where i can order 30 ml of rockshox suspension fluid?
    found only 120 ml containers.. thanks
  • jb72
    jb72 Posts: 12
    I did a lower leg service on mine (XC32 solo air) a while ago. Just gave the lowers a wash with washing up liquid and rinsed with the hose. Then left them to dry overnight. Other bits I just wiped with a clean cloth.

I bought a litre of motorbike fork oil off ebay for about £8-9 and used that. Will probably last me the next 20 years!

Try this - http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-oils/valvoline-synpower-fork-oil-10w-1-litre