Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

best light/packable insulated jacket (for stops, camping etc.)

razorjackrazorjack Posts: 91
edited January 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi
I'm looking for light and packable insulated (primaloft etc.) jacket, i thought about
-Alpkit Heiko https://www.alpkit.com/products/heiko-mens
-TNF Thermoball jacket

these two costs below 100-110£.
any experience with them? or maybe something other ?

• fat daddyfat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I was just about to recommend TNF thermoball .... then realised you already put that in

not as warm as it could be ... but then I compare that to a thicker one I also have that doesn't fold up as much, nice thing is though if it gets soaking wet it still works !
  • from pictures, it looks like Heiko could be a smaller package ?
  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Down is lightest and has best insulation / compression ratio - however, it's useless in the wet. Of the synthetics, Polartec Alpha is my favourite - very light, windproof and excellent breathability and probably the best for 'active' wear. I have other Primaloft jackets, but they aren't as breathable / hold perspiration. Marmot Isotherm Hoody will be my choice for 'day wear' for a forthcoming 5-day arctic winter race - wore one for 39.5 hours last year down to -15 in a blizzard. I'll be carrying a down+alpha jacket for when I'm stopped
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Polartec Alpha is my favourite - very light, windproof and excellent breathability and probably the best for 'active' wear.
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Marmot Isotherm Hoody will be my choice for 'day wear' for a forthcoming 5-day arctic winter race - wore one for 39.5 hours last year down to -15 in a blizzard. I'll be carrying a down+alpha jacket for when I'm stopped

Both are out of stock.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,720
    I always carry my montane prism in the bottom of my rucksack as its not down it can be worn wet and packs down to nothing. Designed to be worn over whatever your wearing.
    https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/mon ... escription
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • mrb123mrb123 Posts: 3,422
    Patagonia Nano Puff pullover or jacket. Very light and packable yet warm for it's weight.