Wall of shame and recommendation

arthur_x
arthur_x Posts: 7
edited January 2017 in The cake stop
Happy for anyone to chip in and expose cr4ppy dealer service, alongside recommendations for those who are excellent.

I'll go first.

I don't normally go online to complain about anything, but I am 'mildly incensed' at the service I've had from online dealer Acycles, so I'm giving a heads-up to anyone who might be considering buying from them.

This will be a factual post, I'm not a troll and if you want to check me out I have over 1280 100% feedbacks on eBay as kevin7649boxer.

Now, I bought some Ritchey handlebars from Acycles 10 days ago on a 3-6 day delivery promise. Nothing arrived by Monday of this week so I emailed to ask (very non-confrontationally) when they would be delivered. I didn't receive a reply. Early yesterday I sent them a message via Paypal, prior to 'opening a case'. Still no reply. It's Thursday and I'd like to finish building my bike - preferably so I can ride this weekend. I rang what appeared to be a UK number this morning, only to be answered in French by an answerphone directing me to another number. I decided to give up there and then. Not wanting to sound like Donald Trump, but my French is not great and the website is in English, with no mention that the business is based in France.

Maybe this is the level of service the French are used to.... casual and disinterested (yes, maybe I'm typecasting the French a bit there). I wouldn't mind the delay if they had been bothered to respond to my messages. I've escalated to opening a case with Paypal and I'm confident they'll issue a refund.

Not a big deal in the great scheme of things (I'm hardly fearing for my life in a basement in Aleppo), but I humbly suggest that businesses like this don't deserve our business.

So let's end on a good note...

During the same period I've received other components promptly from: Tweeks, High on Bikes, Ribble Cycles, Paul Milnes and derekscyclesonline. I can't recommend these guys highly enough.

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    If only there was another way of obtaining some handlebars, without the need to shop online with a retailer in a foreign country, hmm...
  • They are a bit sneaky as it isn't mentioned in the about us or contact us but they do mention several times in the terms and conditions that at least their customer service and returns depots are based in France (and by extension the rest of them) so to claim there is no mention is a bit misleading.

This isn't the first story I've read about poor service from Acycles.

Tweeks (whose shop is local to my parents) and Ribble I've always had very good service from too. I haven't used the others but will check them out.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Best service for me has always been the German & Dutch shops.

Www.cycle-Basar.de
    Www.bike-components.de
    Www.mantel.com

Fantastic swift and helpful service. They put a lot of UK sites to shame
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Merlin Cycles - wall of shame.

I ordered a Shimano HG400 cassette from them. A box labelled HG400 arrived and in it was a cassette that didn't look as good as the HG61 the 400 replaces. And on closer inspection, it is labelled HG50. The HG50 is noticeably heavier than the HG61 and 400 and rather cheap looking. I sent the old back and told them that the cassette was the wrong sort. Rather than relist the item as an HG50, they added a note to say that the HG50 and 400 are the same quality. Which is a lie. Shimano do say that the 400 replaces both the 50 and 61 but really it is only the 61 that is equivalent. So I wrote a review politely explaining this - which they haven't posted. And they haven't changed the lie on the website. It's pretty poor and dishonest really. I'm disappointed.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-hg ... 48272.html
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sometimes sh1t happens. Whiny threads don't help. 99% of the time there are no hassles, and no threads.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    cooldad wrote:
    Sometimes sh1t happens. Whiny threads don't help. 99% of the time there are no hassles, and no threads.

^^

I prefer to promote the positives. People are more likely to take advice and use a good shop than avoid a supposed bad one. And sometimes bad experiences can have many contributing factors outside the retailers control so it can be a bit harsh to slag them off so quickly
  • Garry H wrote:
    If only there was another way of obtaining some handlebars, without the need to shop online with a retailer in a foreign country, hmm...

Hmmm? I think you've missed the point... which was that these guys give the appearance of being UK-based.
  • cooldad wrote:

I accept that s*** happens, but I did say I wouldn't mind if they had had the courtesy to reply to my emails. The thread might not get my bars any quicker but if it stop someone else dealing with these people, then I'm glad to be of service. :wink:
  • I ordered a replacement Oakley lens..it arrived within 4 days from them..so its hit & miss i guess.Like the OP I initially thought they were UK based, but a little digging led to them being French..but still no complaints at all..If it was a big/costly item i think I would shop around on the sites i KNOW are Uk based, but personally..no issues with AC at all.
    Just thought it fair to give them praise where it's due.