Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

etap vs cable stops/lugs

pauly69pauly69 Posts: 101
edited February 2017 in Road general
Slightly frivolous / vain, but having decided to fit etap to an older titanium frame which has all the typical little lugs for cable stops / adjusters - any thoughts on how to avoid these looking plain fugly/pointless when the cables are removed?

Short of getting them removed altogether has anyone found a use for them or filled them with a grommet or something?

Serious question! TIA.

• bbrapbbrap Posts: 610
    Buy a new titanium frame without any added bits. Swap components from old frame, then sell old frame on :P
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • pauly69pauly69 Posts: 101
    bbrap wrote:
    Buy a new titanium frame without any added bits. Swap components from old frame, then sell old frame on :P

Ha, new frame is indeed the longer term plan but having just shelled out a bag of sand for etap it'll have to wait!

Any more? Feel free to share pics of your awful frame appendages living alongside etap :)
  • If your not bothered about (potential) faff opening them up again with sugru you could seal them up very neatly.
  • pauly69pauly69 Posts: 101
    If your not bothered about (potential) faff opening them up again with sugru you could seal them up very neatly.

Thanks, I found other refs to this sugru stuff on other boards, will check it out :)
  • The other option is to turn the whole thing on its head, and make a feature of them. If the frame is painted, you could paint them a contrasting colour, and get some 1.5mm thick steel rod, and run it between two stops as "cable", maybe using Sugru to hold them in place.
  • paulbnixpaulbnix Posts: 520
    I have also just bought Etap.
    I was planning on a new frame but the one I fancied didn't fit.
    I am fitting it to my Px Pro Carbon and, like you, am wondering what to do with the lugs on the downtube and DS chainstay.
    I will probably end up just hacksawing them off - delicately of course.
  • paulbnixpaulbnix Posts: 520
    SRAM Red Etap WiFli is now fitted to my Px Pro Carbon - some might say "gilding the t**d" :-)
    Gear changes are wonderfully effortless, quick and precise.
    They go click click quite rapidly -1st is the shifter and the 2nd click is the gear change.

However I'm not so sure about the shape of the shifter hoods.
    They seem a bit squared off compared to my previous SRAM Apex.
    I have inserted a piece of gel bar tape under the hood and that seems to have sorted them.
  • pauly69 wrote:
    bbrap wrote:

Ha, new frame is indeed the longer term plan but having just shelled out a bag of sand for etap it'll have to wait!

Any more? Feel free to share pics of your awful frame appendages living alongside etap :)
    Well if you are looking to sell it on later I'd recommend leaving as it is so that it will retain an appeal to the widest audience