Black ice + bike =

2»

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I was doing 35 miles RT on Ice Spiker Pros when the bridge was being fixed. It's not bad. Mind you, the Spiker Pros are so much lighter than the Marathon W***ers
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I was doing 35 miles RT on Ice Spiker Pros when the bridge was being fixed. It's not bad. Mind you, the Spiker Pros are so much lighter than the Marathon W***ers

850 grams for a 26 inch versus 995 for a 700 c... not that much lighter
    left the forum March 2023
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    keef66 wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    40 miles on studded tyres on an MTB won't be fun at all. Better than the train though.

Jesus, how bad is the train???

Awful.

Will definitely be getting some studded 35c winters for the MTB, with a long term plan of getting a CX bike (and spare wheels) in the not too distant future, probably next winter or the one after.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I was doing 35 miles RT on Ice Spiker Pros when the bridge was being fixed. It's not bad. Mind you, the Spiker Pros are so much lighter than the Marathon W***ers

But MRS really, really hates Marathon Winters. It is his personal mission to try to ensure nobody every buys them by any means available.

I do tend to think I'd use them more if I had Spikers rather than Winters though. Mostly ice isn't the problem in Leeds as the gritting is good (except on the cycle lanes) - snow can be an issue in which case knobblies are better. Studded knobblies would cover all options but, as it is, it seems easier to wait for the ice to melt on the rare occasions it is a problem and leave the normal knobblies on the MTB for snow days.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i have both spikes (mtb) and studs (road) but no bike to fit either of them too, i split my mtb up for the youngest build and sold my cross bike years ago

I guess its WFH until the ice is gone
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Rolf F wrote:

But MRS really, really hates Marathon Winters. It is his personal mission to try to ensure nobody every buys them by any means available.

Just checked the Schwalbe site and 700c W***ers are 950g whereas 26" Pros are 695g - so 1/4kg per tyre.

I'm fine with people buying the W***ers - I crashed on them on ice so, not only are they stupendously heavy but not that reliable/safe so I have no time for them. The Spiker Pros were just outright brilliant. If you're going to run studded tyre to be safe, I'd like to be sure I'm safe. Clearly, the Highlands is an extreme case - it can literally be frozen every morning for 5 months.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • prawny
    Just bought some lightly used Conti Nordics from another forum, that's then end of winter and the beginning of global warming really ramping up.

Well, after they've been fitted anyway, no doubt it's going to be an ice rink for the next few days at least.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I've got two pairs of the older model - the Snow Stud. Really must sell them as can't stand riding the mtb to work anymore and with these tyres fitted it's even worse. The 700 x 38 won't fit on my commuter unless I remove the mudguards, must buy some smaller versions, MRS recommends the Winter then!
  • I've got two pairs of the older model - the Snow Stud. Really must sell them as can't stand riding the mtb to work anymore and with these tyres fitted it's even worse. The 700 x 38 won't fit on my commuter unless I remove the mudguards, must buy some smaller versions, MRS recommends the Winter then!

It's funny how people would rather end up in A & E than removing the mudguard and running the risk of having a soggy bottom... you are by no means alone in this
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    What's the narrowest spiked tyre? Fattest conventional tyre I could squeeze on my Tk would be a 28 I think.

I'd rather have a wet @rse than a broken hip, that's for sure.
  • keef66 wrote:
    What's the narrowest spiked tyre? Fattest conventional tyre I could squeeze on my Tk would be a 28 I think.

30 is the smallest I have seen and it remains to be seen whether it is a real 30
  • prawny
    Good point, will need some kind of rear guard too.

Next will be spare wheels so I can keep the MTB ready to go.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Fractured my wrist yesterday on ice...had been above freezing for 24 hours prior to this but meh, it was on a sheltered bit of cycle path and down I went. Knew I should've stuck to the road!!
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Fractured my wrist yesterday on ice...had been above freezing for 24 hours prior to this but meh, it was on a sheltered bit of cycle path and down I went. Knew I should've stuck to the road!!
    Yowch, GWS.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    keef66 wrote:

30 is the smallest I have seen and it remains to be seen whether it is a real 30

Put a Schwalbe Active Winter (30mm) on the front wheel and at 55psi measures just under 30mm.

First try out with them this morning, they are soooo noisey, need some ear defenders.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I've got two pairs of the older model - the Snow Stud. Really must sell them as can't stand riding the mtb to work anymore and with these tyres fitted it's even worse. The 700 x 38 won't fit on my commuter unless I remove the mudguards, must buy some smaller versions, MRS recommends the Winter then!

I bought these in 26" for the MTB, crashed on them as I didn't have low enough pressure in them for the studs to bite in, as I don't have the clearance for anything over a 28 on the roadie.

Waiting for spring before ordering the ice spiker pros in 700 & 26, so I'm sorted out if I manage to n+1 this year.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    keef66 wrote:
    It's perhaps down to the urge to want to get outdoors on a bike, being aware that the weather is borderline, but not appearing to be over the dangerous line when looking out of the window. But every so often, conditions on the ride are worse than what we saw from indoors.

Exactly what I did on Sunday. Beautiful bright day, road outside was bone dry, couldn't resist. Thought if I waited till midday I'd be OK. However my route was on a lot of ungritted lanes, some in deep shade, and I encountered a lot of frost, ice and melt-water. Spent a lot of time in the middle or on the wrong side of the road for safer riding, and proceeding with great caution. Had I tried that at night I'd almost certainly have ended up on my @rse. Not going out again till Friday night when it's forecast to be warmer...

yep did the same 2 weeks ago as I was beginning to go stir crazy and it looked ok,but scared myself witless on some very not ok bits on shaded country lanes, so when I looked out at the weather last weekend & car was still frosted over at midday, thought not a chance in hell going out in that however sunny it looks.
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    The problem has nothing to do with studs or tyre widths, rather that one simply shouldn't come onto internet fora, after having wiped out, to wax lyrical.

If you fall off a bike and nobody on the internet gets to hear about it, it didn't happen.

That's what Rabbie would have said, I'm sure.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Every January threads like this mushroom out. I don't know whether people are thick... actually I do think people are thick, as they don't seem to get it

You can go off people really quickly, you know :evil:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    Fractured my wrist yesterday on ice...had been above freezing for 24 hours prior to this but meh, it was on a sheltered bit of cycle path and down I went. Knew I should've stuck to the road!!
    Yowch, GWS.

Well, you get my sympathy, no doubt others will be here soon to post snide "what an idiot" comments

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    It's perhaps down to the urge to want to get outdoors on a bike, being aware that the weather is borderline, but not appearing to be over the dangerous line when looking out of the window. But every so often, conditions on the ride are worse than what we saw from indoors.

Normally I would not entertain going for a ride in borderline weather, but I have to admit the urge to go for a ride (even if just a short ~20 minute one) is very strong recently, making me think increasingly of buying a set of studded tyres that might perish from UV deterioration long before they wear out. :lol:
    This was me on Sunday - A bruised stiff shoulder and a couple of broken ribs tells me I should he erred on the side of caution, especially on the off camber sheltered downhill lane :(
  • SecretSam wrote:
    Yowch, GWS.

Well, you get my sympathy, no doubt others will be here soon to post snide "what an idiot" comments

Thank you ;)

As I say, it wasn't freezing so 'should've' been fine...I watched 3 people use the same corner at roughly the same speed while I checked my bike over and they were all fine. Was just unlucky...though next time I'll stick to the road or stay at home if there's any decision to be made. I always play safe with ice/black ice just didn't think there would be any!
  • SecretSam wrote:

I generally reserve the term "thick" to those that knowing perfectly well there is ice out there, as it's been icy for a week or two, decide that they are safe, as they will only "ride on gritted roads". As it happens, it's very unlikely that you will ride EXCLUSIVELY on gritted roads. Even if you were, roads that have been treated develop ice too, around gutters and corners... moreover, do you trust the council so much to always get it right? For instance last week on thursday night, nobody bothered to grit for some reason
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,812
    SecretSam wrote:
    Yowch, GWS.

Anyone can make a mistake and learn from it.
    Repeating the mistake is idiotic.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Ok, glad I'm not having to ride to work this morning.... Cheshire/ Staffs / Derbyshire, Councils caught out by the drop in temp after the rain wash yesterday... black ice everywhere incl main routes... FB beginning to fill up with reports of people on Sunday runs coming off/sacking off rides.
    Met Office put out just a standard Yellow warning (covers our arses)... surely they could actually put a red warning to give people a chance of not having to go out either on 2 or 4 wheels?
    Why do HM Gov continue to give this lot of losers so much tax gold?
  • JGSI wrote:
    Ok, glad I'm not having to ride to work this morning.... Cheshire/ Staffs / Derbyshire, Councils caught out by the drop in temp after the rain wash yesterday... black ice everywhere incl main routes... FB beginning to fill up with reports of people on Sunday runs coming off/sacking off rides.
    Met Office put out just a standard Yellow warning (covers our arses)... surely they could actually put a red warning to give people a chance of not having to go out either on 2 or 4 wheels?

Red means be ready to take action, in this case there is no action to take. Yellow means be aware, which is appropriate. If they issued a red warning for ice on the roads, what would a strength 5 hurricane get?

Folks who fell off on their sunday ride have only themselves to blame, as discussed further above.
  • secretsam
    JGSI wrote:

Red means be ready to take action, in this case there is no action to take. Yellow means be aware, which is appropriate. If they issued a red warning for ice on the roads, what would a strength 5 hurricane get?

Folks who fell off on their sunday ride have only themselves to blame, as discussed further above.

mine wasn't on a Sunday, it was 0600 on a Weds :evil:

• benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    What a change a week makes.

Last Tuesday night's ride was on roads glistening with frost. Last night's ride was on roads flooded with water. Lots of wind a rain and not a single sign of anything like ice.

I know we aren't out of winter yet and I'm in two minds to get some spare wheels. Much easier to swap wheels to one with studded rubber than faff about changing tyres.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    oh hell yeah ... in this country the weather changes so frequently you cant change tyres .... even wheels is too much, I threw my studded tyres on a mountain bike .... if its icy or snow I take the mtb in

just wake up in the morning ook at the floor and pick bike