S-Works Tarmac disc wheel question.

jus71n
jus71n Posts: 138
edited January 2017 in Workshop
Hi all,

I'm buying a Specialized S-Works Tarmac 2017 disc frameset, & I plan to transfer the running gear from my Cannondale synapse Di2 11 spd onto it, But my question is about wheel fitment on the rear, from what I've read Specialized recommend Roval wheels as they fit the 135mm spacing at the rear? I currently have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Pro Disc Road Wheelset which I want to use? is this possible & what do I need to do it?

From reading some say you can't, some say it will work fine with no problems, others say different derailleur hanger?

Any help would be great.
S-Works Tarmac Disc Di2 2017 :shock:

Felt AR3 Di2 :) (6870 11spd upgrade) 2012 - Now gone.

Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Ultegra 2016

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Where are you buying from? Ask Specialized? You're spending a decent amount of money with them - it's worth their while ensuring the product you're buying meets your expectations :)
  • jus71n
    Slowbike wrote:
    Where are you buying from? Ask Specialized? You're spending a decent amount of money with them - it's worth their while ensuring the product you're buying meets your expectations :)

Thanks, currently looking & asking everywhere for the information before the frame turns up, so just putting the feelers out here in case there is somebody that's done it already

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    jus71n wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Thanks, currently looking & asking everywhere for the information before the frame turns up, so just putting the feelers out here in case there is somebody that's done it already

np :)

Specialized Concept stores have been pretty good in the past - especially if you can ask specific questions that don't require opinion ...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    135mm is standard rear hub width for road or CX bikes so that doesn't sound like it should be the issue. Some of their bikes used a weird hub set up that does need specific hubs, SCS I think they called it. If it is made for that system you may have an issue using other wheels.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Measure the width!

Most disc hubs are 135 although a very few are 130mm, additionally some road bikes have the rim offset centrally over the rear hub section leaving the rear frame asymmetric and from this article your S-works could well be one of them in which case you would need to respoke the rear wheel to get it correct.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -15-48977/
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jus71n
    http://www.cyclist.co.uk/specialized/s- ... isc-review

this is the article which prompted my questioning of the rear wheel, says its possible for other brands to be fitted, but doesn't mention how

• ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Ksyriums are all 135 rear.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • jus71n
    Ryan_W wrote:

Yes, but in some articles it mentions that the Roval wheels Specialized recommend move the hub on the drive side in 2.5mm to straighten the shortened drive train, thus meaning other wheels my require mods to make them fit, i.e a hanger that would move the RD in 2.5mm

• ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    jus71n wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:

Yes, but in some articles it mentions that the Roval wheels Specialized recommend move the hub on the drive side in 2.5mm to straighten the shortened drive train, thus meaning other wheels my require mods to make them fit, i.e a hanger that would move the RD in 2.5mm

Potentially marketing BS to get people to only use Spesh wheels on their bikes?

The Mavics has removable end caps, but not sure about spacers...
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    This page, if it is indeed for the 2017 bike, would suggest they are still using SCS spacing:
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works/sworks-tarmac-disc-di2/106251

I thought I had read somewhere they were ditching it for 2017, but perhaps for only certain bikes in the range.

Good luck.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • jus71n
    Right I've done a little more research and the problem isn't the 135mm rear hub spacing, it's the fact that on the tarmac frame specialized shorten the chain stay length from 420mm (standard) to 405mm so to compensate for this on the Roval wheels the cassette on the rear hub is moved inboard by 2.5mm to aid gear changing, so to fit any aftermarket wheel there should be a derailieur hanger that moves the derailieur inboard 2.5mm to compensate

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Erm as the new standard hub would move the cassette outboard by 2.5mm wouldn't the new hanger have to move the rear mech OUTBOARD by 2.5mm?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jus71n
    The Rookie wrote:
    Erm as the new standard hub would move the cassette outboard by 2.5mm wouldn't the new hanger have to move the rear mech OUTBOARD by 2.5mm?

That seems to be the solution, a standard REV4 hanger will move RD out 2.5 so problem solved.

Can just look forward to building my first bike now