Slipping chain after replacing cassette

danielsbrewer
danielsbrewer Posts: 123
edited January 2017 in The workshop
Hello,

Last night I replaced my chain and cassette and this morning the chain kept slipping under any heavy pressure and once fell off. I must admit I didn't re-index the gears properly as I didn't have time, but normally when I make this change it is ok. Secondly, I had left it a bit late this time with the chain wear indicator reaching 1. So my thoughts on what it could be:
1) Gears not indexed properly.
2) Worn chainring that needs replacing.
3) The rear derailleur jockey wheels. They look pretty star like!

Any ideas on how I can investigate what it might be or what it could be? How easy is it to replace chain rings and jockey wheels? I'm running an old Tiagra triple 9 speed drivetrain.

Thanks

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If the jockey wheels are worn that bad then what does the chainring look like ?

I'd probably think gears not aligned right but its hard to say without seeing it.
  • I mainly use the middle chain ring, and I had a quick look this morning, but I find it difficult to see if they are shark-like or not. On the way home from work I'll try riding on one of the rings to see if that helps.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd say it sounds like a worn chainring. How many miles would you say it's done?
  • It's been a good 3 years doing 6 miles a day, plus some longer rides. I think it is the chain ring as everything seemed ok when using the inner and outer ring, just the middle one where there are problems.