Chain tensioner problem

thistle_
thistle_ Posts: 7,149
edited January 2017 in The workshop
I replaced the frame on my singlespeed last week (bottom bracket thread stripped on the old one), old and new frames have vertical dropouts. I swapped all the parts over but as the new frame is smaller, I can't get enough tension in the chain to stop it slipping.
The tensioner that I have is like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Contrast-Singl ... B00ZHSU2WG

Previously, I had a tensioner that pushed the chain up and this worked great, however on the new frame the tensioner hits the chainstay before it puts enough tension in the chain. Obvious solution is to shorten the chain, but then the chain fits without the tensioner and binds badly.

I took the tensioner apart last night, cleaned it up and refitted as a push down tensioner and it's better but the chain still slips like the tensioner needs a much stronger spring to keep the chain tight.

I have a 36x14T setup. I could experiment with bigger cogs, but I think I would still need a tensioner somewhere if only to take up the little bit of slack as the chain wears. A tensioner with a larger sprocket pushing up would help, but if it's too big it would result in the two sides of the chain touching.

Can anyone suggest a solution?
Are there any tensioners out there with strong springs?
Would an idler hanging off the chainstay cause more problems?

I'll pop down and get some photos at lunchtime which might explain the problem better.

Comments