Tyre choice

paul_stelling
paul_stelling Posts: 96
edited February 2017 in Commuting general
I am thinking of getting some new tyres for my commuter bike . I can not go above 700 23c as rims will not allow a wider tyre. I really like the look of gumwall s and think they would suit my style of bike a steel frame cinelli. I have found 4 possible tyres. Black mamba, michelin dynamic,panaracer pasela, and schwalble lugano. Has anyone used any of these and could they recommend which would be the best choice for daily comute of 5 miles on roads and cycle paths. Many thanks.

Comments

• froze
    froze Posts: 213
    The only one I've used is the Pasela but I have the Tour Guard (TG) model, I really like that tire, I use it on my weekend touring bike and after about 1,500 miles I haven't had one flat and it appears to be wearing very well, it also seems to have good traction in wet (after you get about 250 miles on it the wet traction improves) and on gravel. The TG model has better flat protection belt that runs from bead to bead then the regular the Pasela and it doesn't weigh much more, however the TG's smallest size is a 25 which from what you said it won't work, which surprises me for that bike.

The Schwalbe Lugan HS471, and the Michelin Dynamic Sport are entry level tires, the level of protection will not be up to the standards of the Pasela. I cannot find enough information on the Brick Lane Black Mamba to even hint at a guess of how good it is. So with all that in mind I would go with the Pasela, plus the Pasela hits on your style points with the gum sidewalls.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    On a standard 17mm rim you should be able to go up to a 25mm tyre if you want. 28mm would be fine too.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX