canyon strive - yt capra

japower1990
japower1990 Posts: 45
edited March 2017 in MTB general
Right the 29er cross country bike needs to go now as I'm after an enduro 27.5 bike

the canyon strive and the yt capra seem to be standing out on the reviews and the spec you get for the price but does anyone own/ have experience on either of them.

seeing as they're online orders only and no one seems to demo them, I'm after some opinions.

any help would be appreciated.

james

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't have either. The Canyons shapeshifter thing is a major weakness and canyons customer service isn't very good. The YT is just a real tank of a bike and not good for climbing.
    I'd go for either the Solid Magix or Rose Uncle Jimbo. Both are as good value as the Canyon and YT but climb better than the YT and have decent customer service. They just don't have the huge marketing budgets to get reviews in every magazine.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    also consider airdrop edit and the bird 145
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    the Rose uncle jimbo, a friend owns one and definently pedals better than a capra, plus the top model is resonably light , strive in overall not as good as a capra at least from back to back tests
    canyon has a tendency to forget their customers and shapeshifter fails once in a while to keep things interesting
    http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/yt-capra-vs-c ... est-345073
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • cdb
    cdb Posts: 25
    I have a Canyon. I've had nothing but great customer service through purchase and after. They've sent me a couple of small replacement parts very quickly and free of charge.
  • Ive got the YT capra, certainly isnt tank like at all, climbs really well for the amount of suspension it has and is great fun blasting downhill. Best bike ive had by a mile.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Capra I rode was a real tank when climbing. Definitely not as good climbing as my Transition Patrol by a good margin and I wouldn't say my Patrol climbs all that well.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I found the Capras really short for a given size, something to factor in should you go for one. I did like the suspension though under power, even with the shock on minimal compression damping, and with very little feedback through the pedals on bigger hits
  • Don B
    Don B Posts: 122
    edited February 2017
    Look at the Cube Stereo HPA 160, lighter and well specced for the money, and you can buy it from a shop
  • Don B wrote:
    Look at the Cube Stereo HPA 160, far lighter and we'll specced for the money

will certainly back this up. I just don't know why people don't look at this bike more. its a blumin cracking bike and the spec is pretty much maxed.

ive got the 2016 model which climbs well and is really light, think its about 12.9kg or something like that. the 2017 model which the spec is a tad better is heavier. colour is a bit more neutral though so might suit some.
  • Don B
    Don B Posts: 122
    Absolutely, I've got a 2015 HPC 160, carbon fibre one, it's very very light and spec is great, though I've gone 1x11 with an 11-46 on the back
  • Don B wrote:
    Absolutely, I've got a 2015 HPC 160, carbon fibre one, it's very very light and spec is great, though I've gone 1x11 with an 11-46 on the back

exactly, I'm not an expert on bikes but I believe cube isn't really the mtb top brand like yt and canyon etc.

I got the 2016 model for £1700 and for that I got Pikes, Guide r brakes, sram xo1 1x11, reverb, dt wheels and its weights under 13kg. nothing can beat that on price. for me the 2017 really is a massive contender but its not a bike that gets tested by the magazines its normally the carbon or race models which specs aren't as good as this one.
  • Blue9320
    Blue9320 Posts: 8
    Can I just bump this thread to save making a new one as these are the same 2 bikes I'm stuck between, I'm leaning towards the strive but everytime I read on the canyon owners thread I seem to see people with issues which is making me doubt my decision. The whole 2 bikes into 1 is the thing that has the canyon ahead for me at the minute but the YT capra looks really impressive too, shame neither bike went with the metric sized shocks.
    Does anyone have opinions on these 2 bikes before I pull the trigger and make an order?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I would get either of those but go somewhere else in the sector.

The Canyon has well know issues with the shapeshifter and deliveries and poor UK support and while the Capra is very good with gravity behind it it really doesn't climb as well as the competition.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • musclebeach
    musclebeach Posts: 116
    Also if this may help, people mention about the poor customer service from Canyon. My girlfriend knows someone who has one and even when they managed to break their rear mech and hanger Canyon sent them out another to replace it without even needing to see photos of the damaged one!

I am wondering if maybe the lass has her wires crossed though and just means they sent a new rear mech hanger rather than a whole rear mech as that wouldn't exactly be Canyon's fault :lol: