father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited January 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I've bought a new bike, taken from box this is the chain

small small
IMG_20170121_184904.jpg

large large
IMG_20170121_185017.jpg

I know you should not use these gear combinations, but even with these combinations shouldn't be like that. I'm having other issues with the gears at the moment.

Or is this to be expected with the huge range of cassette teeth, you have to be aware of it? tbh it's not fun riding when you have to thinking of which front/rear combo, in case the chain becomes too slack.

Issues I'm having is slipping gears from the cassette. End stops are spot on, but it slips like it's a worn cassette, shifts/slips under load.
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Take the chain off and size it properly, round big/big excluding the mech plus one link.
    Then index it correctly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Is that a medium cage? Some 2x setups are more sensitive to chain crossing, but they always should have all combinations functional and a whole lot of them are fine with using big-big, as the large ring is in similar position where it would be on a 1x setup.
    In your case, you should definitely shorten the chain.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The chain is clearly too long in big/big, the lower run should be almost a straight line, that said I'm not convinced it's going to work in small/small, some bikes are set up aggressively so that small small isn't really useable, Boardman used to do it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It's skipping because your quicklink is not fitted properly.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's skipping because your quicklink is not fitted properly.

Good eyes. It does look like that.

And the chain is a bit long.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools