Am I silly to spend £600 upgrading old bike?? Giant Terrago 2008

DanB8
DanB8 Posts: 6
edited January 2017 in MTB general
Hello There,

As per the thread title am I silly if I spend £600 upgrading 2008 Giant Terrago??

After a bit of thought I went against purchasing a new bike for £600 as I would be getting a similar spec to what I have now albeit with newer version parts (deore) and geometry (27.5, tapered headsets etc) but I like my old frame, and I didn't use it nearly as much as I had planned.

So I have brought

Mavic XC717 Wheels with Shimano XT M756 Hubs - Fitted with Brand New Conti Race King 2.2 Tyres - Shop Soiled £100

Shimano Deore M615 Brakes fitted with brand new SLX I-Spec shifters - Take off brand new bike £107

Shimano RT66 Rotors - 180mm Fr 160mm Rr - Brand New - £26

Shimano XTR Mount Adapter - 180mm - Brand New - £9

Shimano Deore M610 3 Speed Front Mech - CRC Display Model - But no marls what so ever - Brand New - £7

Shimano XT M786 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech - £16 - CRC Refunded £30 due to received condition - scuffed pretty bad for a brand new £50 mech

Shimano XT M771 10 Speed Cassette - 11- 34 - Brand New - £37

Shimano XT HG95 10 Speed Chain - Brand New - £18

Shimano XT M800 Bottom Bracket - Brand New - £20

Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Triple Chainset - 42 32 34 - Brand New - £95

Well V8 Copy Pedals - Brand New - £10

FireEye Goosebump Grips - Brand New - £11

FSA Afterburner Riser Handlebar - 670mm - Brand New - £15

Answer Rove AM Stem - Brand New - £12

Nukeproof Warhead Layback Seatpost - Brand New - £8

Jagwire Lex 4mm Outer - Brand New - £5

Clarkes PTFE Coated Gear Cables - Brand New - £6

Total = £574

Only need forks to complete the makeover - was going to get brand new rs recon silver tk but really want a good set of second hand fox 32 floats ideally for less than £150

Total then will be £750 ish.

The only problem is now it has all arrived and my frame has been stripped, cleaned and protected I don't know whether I'm being stupid for spending so much on an old bike.....but for £750 would I get a bike with the spec my old one will be.

I can easily send everything back and sell the wheels and brakes for what I paid and then get a new bike.

I'd appreciate all input guys, good and bad.

Cheers

Dan

Comments

• jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    I love the thought of building my own bike. So if you like the frame I don't see why not. However if you say you'll be spending £750 in the end that could buy a pretty nice hard tail. You'd also probably be getting a 650b which is possibly more future proofed, especially for future upgrades.

Ive also done a lot of research in the last week or so on 'budget' 26" forks. The Rochshox 30 gold rl would save you 300g and give you better damping. More money of course, but worth it imho.

That probably hasn't helped, but whatever you do, you'll enjoy it. :)
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • DanB8
    That was the plan initially. To buy a 650b frame, forks and wheels next year and put all this new stuff onto it.

I am currently watching a set of RS SID Team forks - Dual Air. They seem really nice if I can get them for less than £175.

What do you think?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have SIDs and I love them!

Best not to mention that they cost me £65 and I got the latest XLoc damper for £30 I guess!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I had a set of Rock shox silver tk's. they're not great to be honest.

For not much more than £750 you could pick up a brand new giant stance, caliber bossnut or similar
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you like the frame and want some decent kit on it, then sure, upgrade away.

Is always worth comparing against new though (£750 plus the price of selling your Terrago) ie a Rockrider 920:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-92 ... 66869.html

or

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s155p ... SL-29-2015
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    supersonic wrote:

Is always worth comparing against new though (£750 plus the price of selling your Terrago) ie a Rockrider 920:

or

bloody hell, that cube is a bargain!
  • zerolight
    zerolight Posts: 155
    I'd sell it all and get a calibre bossnut for that sort of money. Upgrade it to 1x11 next year. Rather have full suss and modern geometry.
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Cannondale Supersix Evo Disc
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Yes, you're silly to spend £750 on upgrading such an old frame.

For that money as mentioned you can get a decent new HT/better secondhand 650b or 29 which will be future proofed more.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you like the frame then why not?
  • DanB8
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for all the responses people and I appreciate all your feedback. The answers here are pretty similar to what friends have said to me over the past few weeks. Some say upgrade away - Others say don't bother. It's been a tough decision.

Needless to say I've just gone for it and fitted everything today and I'm well chuffed with how it looks and rides.

It's gone from rubbishy suntour xcr, square bb and heavy budget wheels to loosing iro 3-4kg (haven't weighed it yet). The bike accelerates, brakes and steers so much better than before. It really feels like a new bike.

The initial plan was to upgrade the components this year, then get a new frame next year and transfer all the parts across. The only thing I will need to buy again are forks and wheels but I will put those I have brought onto my partners GT Avalanche. She is only small so 26 will be fine for her.

One of the reasons I chose to stick with the upgrade plan is I missed out on a GT Zaskar Carbon Eite from Wiggle in the sale ( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-zaskar-carbo ... tain-bike/ ). As a supplier of Wiggle I could of had a little more off the discounted price but the bike sold before we went back to work in the new year. Since then every bike I see for £750 isn't a patch on that Zaskar Carbon IMO

All in all I''ve enjoyed stripping the bike to the bare frame (minus headset), cleaning it, giving it a coat of Zymol (I know, I know) and seeing it transform.

All I need to get to complete the transformation is a new saddle and trim the rear brake hose to neaten it up a bit.

Anyway, here are some pictures if anyone is interested. Any comments good and bad is appreciated.

Dan

IMG_3395_zpswm7vkzom.jpg

IMG_3394_zpssvamhdyc.jpg
  • DanB8
    supersonic wrote:

or

That cube is really nice though