Freehub replacement on Halo Freedom Disc wheels

clanton
clanton Posts: 1,289
edited January 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I have an old but sound halo Freedom disc that I would like to use with an 11 speed cassette - but struggling to find out if this is possible and which freehubs would be compatible.

Can the freehub body be replaced with a Shimano 11 speed freehub? And if so - how do I do this? Can't see how to get the axle out on this wheel in order to get at the freehub.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shimano 11 speed and Sram excluding XD stuff fits on a standard 8/9/10 speed freehub.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's only 11 speed road cassettes that need a different freehub.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    They're both correct, but to answer your other question about getting to the freehub, then you need a hammer to knock out the bearings and then you'll need a big Allen key - 10 or 11mm, sorry I can't remember off the top of my head, and quite possibly a decent vice...

Personal advice would be to leave it well alone if it's working fine, but the instructions below will tell you how to knock out the bearings if ever they need replacing and once they're out you can get to the freehub.

http://www.ison-distribution.com/uploads/huha-instr-rear-bearingchange.pdf
  • clanton
    The freehub on my Halo Freedom rear does NOT take an 11 speed cassette. I have tried.
    I have also measured the freehub space and compared it to my mavic freehub on another wheel and it is approx 3mm shorter on the Halo rear.

Hence the need to change the freehub.
  • clanton
    Thanks for the link Horton - that should help when it comes to doing the swap - but I will want to be sure the new freehub will fit before I go messing around with the bearings.
  • cooldad
    If it takes an 8, 9 or 10 it will take an 11. They are the same width.

Is it an old 7 speed?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • clanton
    Cooldad I have just measured it again - the halo freehub I have (which is the original, and has been running 9 speed) is 35mm wide. The Mavic Freehub on an old Mavic Cross ride wheel I have is 37mm across. They are different.

My Shimano 11 speed cassette fits on the Mavic Freehub, but not the Halo.
  • clanton
    I have now removed the freehub from the wheel - it doesn't screw in just came out when I was knocking the axle out.....
    So I suspect NOT a Shimano freehub.
  • The Rookie
    No, no-one suggested it would be, the Shimano referred to the cassette compatibility.

Mavic have a wider freehub for their own 11 speed, you need a spacer for a normal 8,9,10,11 speed cassette. If it was 8,9 or10 it will take an 11!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • clanton
    Rookie - it just doesn't though. The lockring does not engage - the cassette sits too proud.
  • The Rookie
    The 11speed cassettes (Shimano and SRAM) are categorically the same width as 8,9 and 10, unless it's a road cassette. So either it's a road cassette, not Shimano or SRAM, or you've put it together wrong somehow, silly question but are the gears equally spaced or is there a different gap.
  • clanton
    It is an mtb cassette. The spacing was fine. I will try it again though in case somehow I was doing something stupid - it would not be the first time!
  • cooldad
    And you haven't got a spacer on the freehub, maybe fro a seven speed cassette.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools