Oakley replacement lens advice (photochromic?)

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
I have a pair of 2013 Tour de France Oakley Radarlock XLs:

oakley-tour-de-france-radarlock-xl-straight-glasses-with-red-iridium-and-g40-vented-lenses-polished-white-EV193060-9000-1.jpg

They came with a mirrored sunglasses lens and a pink lens I use when it's overcast. I then purchased a clear lens to use at night. I noticed that the mirrored coating on the mirrored lens has started to peel around the vents and nose bridge. Although they are out of warranty, this looked like a manufacturing error to me, so I contacted Oakley. They asked me to phone them and offered me a choice of replacement lenses over the phone. The only one that was a sunglasses lens was a Black Iridium VR28 which I said I would accept.

I then didn't hear anything from them so emailed them to chase it up last week. The Black Iridium isn't currently available, but this time they have offered me the choice of anything here (I can wait for them to become available if they're currently out of stock):

http://uk.oakley.com/en/search?text=Radarlock+XL+

or anything from this list:

600-426-003 Radar lock XL Lens OO Red Polar Vented
600-426-005 Radar lock XL Lens Clear Black Iridium Photochromic Vented
600-426-006 Radar lock XL Lens Persimmon Vented
600-426-007 Radar lock XL Lens Yellow Vented
600-426-008 Radar lock XL Lens Clear Vented
600-426-011 Radar lock XL Lens VR28 Vented

At no point have they suggested they want my mirrored lens back, so I'm thinking I might go for the photochromic lens and keep my mirrored lens just for really sunny days. I've never used a photochromic lens before, so any thoughts or recommendations?

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    The photochromic lenses are superb and perfect for UK cycling. They cover you for pretty much all typical British conditions from very low light (they're even usable at night) to very sunny days.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Photochromic rocks - go for it.

Oakley customer service appears to be second to none, they sorted me out with a hefty discount, and two free lenses, whcn I had a few minor issues with some custom radarlocks in 2015.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    I've one set of Oakleys (Radars) and one lens in them - Clear black iridium photochromic. Have used them for every ride over the past 5 years mtb and road. Bright sun and gloom. They just work.

They'll never be as dark as a heavily tinted pair, or as good in the gloom as yellow ones or clear at night but have worked well in all of these circumstances and I never need to worry about what lenses to fit.

My wife has the same prescription lenses in her half jackets.

PS Have had that peeling on some sunglasses. I've put it down to sun cream and they did last years. The 2 pairs I've had since have been fine.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Thanks for the info. Based on this and a couple of reviews I've read I've gone for the photochromic. Sounds just thing thing to me.
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    MrB123 wrote:
    The photochromic lenses are superb and perfect for UK cycling. They cover you for pretty much all typical British conditions from very low light (they're even usable at night) to very sunny days.
    What this guy said. I am using mine all the time and they are perfect!