waterproof / resistant LS jersey

maddog 2
maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
following on from the 'bad weather...' thread I'm after a Gabba-esque long sleeve. Doesn't have to be super warm so a jersey is fine, or a thin jacket. The Perfetto is (obviously...) the LS Gabba but I'm not a Castelli shape so I've kinda discounted that. Doesn't need to be completely waterproof but must be better than a standard softshell, and a stretchy material so it fits and sits well. Don't want a shell - I have this already.

So far I've looked at:
Castelli Perfetto £130
http://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-jack ... 30160.html

DHB Aeron Rain Defence £88
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-rain- ... ve-jersey/

Capo Lombardia DWR £80
http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Capo/L ... ersey/4E1B

Endura Equipe Exo £80
https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/endura_equ ... t-ID_59216

Any ideas?
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Do you want to be dry, or do you just want to be warm? Rapha (and I guess Torm) sportwool isn't waterproof, but is warm when wet. Otherwise, there's the Parentini Mossa, which gets very good press. I'm afraid I am "Castelli shaped" so the Gabba would be my go to. I wouldn't personally buy the LS, though - I'd always go SS and get warmers, because it's too easy to overheat otherwise in changeable conditions. The Gabba with Nanoflex warmers is still the boss, IMO.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    There are seemingly millions of these around at the moment.

A few more off the top of my head...
    Stolen Goat Orkaan
    La Passione Rule 9
    Pactimo Storm
    Parentini Mossa
    Various Sportful Fiandre ones
    http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/209 ... nter-gabba
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I have one of these, and it's become my go-to top for the colder, wetter days.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-asv-race-ro ... ve-jersey/

It is perhaps a little warm for what you are needing - with a thin merino baselayer this will see me down to below zero, but with a lighter baselayer up to around 6-8c, and I suppose it could be worn with no baselayer to higher temperatures.
  • What's a Castelli shape?

I take an XL in the Gabba/Perfetto LS but a large in a Parentini Mossa. The fit is the same, the labels different.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    My wife wasn't 'Castelli shape' a couple of years back so bought a LS Gabba in large. She got fitter and now wears a medium LS Perfetto.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    re. Castelli shape. I need a Large for my shoulders but then the front is too long/baggy. That's for the tops I've tried in the past. In other words, I'm a tad too triangular... I'm happy to try the latest stuff to clarify this though.

It's a LS I'm after, just in case that didn't come through.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    What's a Castelli shape?
    Italian, I suppose - in my case it means a long, scrawny torso. I take an L from Castelli for an aero fit, and an M in Rapha, but with the Rapha the pockets are set too high up for my knackered shoulders to let me reach into them. I suppose it's like Italian cars used to be - long arms, short legs...
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Castelli Shape?!!! Whats that?

You just have to get a bit size bigger?

Tried the DHB last week and half way home I start to feel the chill. With the Gabbas never ever I felt the chill so I guess the DHB is going to collect dust.

I've tried the Castelli Alpha Jacket (not the Alpha wind) and it was just am amazing kit below 5C!! It was three days ago at -1 I only had craft extreme active baselayer and I was in perfect harmony!! Not cold and not hot to make me sweat. Comfortable all the way. Normally at -1 I need two layers in the Gabba 2.

I love the Castelli Alpha so much that I didn't wear the Gabbas at all this week.

I am still waiting for the Rapha Pro Soft shell to arrive and to test them out.

For low temps I definitely recommend the Castelli Alpha over the Gabbas now but they are more expensive.

Forget any jerseys that's not windproof and water resistant with breath-ability. Example, Rapha winter windblock jersey is not where near what the Gabba is. I have two collecting dust.
  • tenohfive
    tenohfive Posts: 152
    I have one of these, and it's become my go-to top for the colder, wetter days.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-asv-race-ro ... ve-jersey/

It is perhaps a little warm for what you are needing - with a thin merino baselayer this will see me down to below zero, but with a lighter baselayer up to around 6-8c, and I suppose it could be worn with no baselayer to higher temperatures.

It's a cracking layer I agree, and it can be worn without a base layer up to around 12c I've found - at 15c it turns into a sweat collector if you're going hard. It's my go-to commuting layer for chilly mornings though as I can wear a thin base layer with it on the way in and ditch the base layer for the way home and know it'll shrug off the worst of the weather and still stay warm.
    A fair bit thicker than some of the other options the OP is discussing though I think? (I've never so much as touched a Gabba.)
  • Did you spot the Vulpine sale and are you 100% after long sleeve rather than short with arm warmers?

These were being knocked out at a big discount although I haven't tried mine yet (it is -1oC here) and I've never tried Gabba's etc so am coming from a point of complete ignorance other than it's free returns so what have you got to lose!:

http://www.vulpine.cc/uk/mens/vulpine-m ... rm-warmers
  • hsiaolc
    I have vulpine everything plus rapha everything. Well almost everything except the women range.

Vulpine has some cracking merino anything (baselayers, polos etc) and nothing beat it in terms of quality and feel. Better than any company out there trust me. Rapha Merino is hmm itch compared to Vulpine. One problem with Vulpine is their styling and their choice of hmm materials for other things. I just bought their all rain jacket. Heavy and hard feel and doesn't feel very warm in the cold unless you really serious layer it up. Vulpine still hmm not as stylish and marking is not as sharp as Raphas.

Well Rapha besides the pro team soft shell (which is on way for me to try) I hope It can perform. Rapha has the styling and customer service and I still buy their stuff purely for styling (Pace jersey now a bargain). The rest is rubbish. Bought a pacakable jacket for shower and wind and used it once and it felt like I was wearing plastic bag over me. Got wet in no time and it wasn't even raining hard. Now its collecting dust.

The new Castelli Alpha - Simply amazing! Especially in the cold weather. Not once. Not once I felt the chill even from the beginning of the ride when I just walk out of the house. Absolutely amazing kit and I only wish it is not that expensive and so I can just have that and nothing else.

The Castelli Gabba 2 is the next best thing.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Vulpine Randa softshell is another one but I received mine this morning and I have to say I'm disappointed.

The quality of the material is nice but it's quite stiff, maybe it'll loosen up a bit but at present its more hard shell than soft.

There are also a few details that are just not quite right, the arms are baggy, I'm not Arnie but I'm not Flat Stanley either. I went for a large as I'm a 40" chest, here it fits nicely, the length is nice but why are the arms so baggy?

The fit is more like a cheap Altura jacket I commute in, in contrast my long sleeve Rapha club and winter jerseys are perfect in the arm, not constricting but not flapping around either.

The neck is also weird, it's cut quite high but again it's loose on my 16" neck, yes I'd probably be wearing a buff but on those days when the temp is climbing I'd like the option to not and with this neck you'll just get a draft coming in.

I'd like to ride with it to test it but the return policy is obv unused and unwashed, on that basis I think it's going back.

I just want a drizzle resistant jersey that's warm for those cold drizzly days, how hard is i
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • hsiaolc
    Matt_N wrote:
    Vulpine Randa softshell is another one but I received mine this morning and I have to say I'm disappointed.

The quality of the material is nice but it's quite stiff, maybe it'll loosen up a bit but at present its more hard shell than soft.

There are also a few details that are just not quite right, the arms are baggy, I'm not Arnie but I'm not Flat Stanley either. I went for a large as I'm a 40" chest, here it fits nicely, the length is nice but why are the arms so baggy?

The fit is more like a cheap Altura jacket I commute in, in contrast my long sleeve Rapha club and winter jerseys are perfect in the arm, not constricting but not flapping around either.

The neck is also weird, it's cut quite high but again it's loose on my 16" neck, yes I'd probably be wearing a buff but on those days when the temp is climbing I'd like the option to not and with this neck you'll just get a draft coming in.

I'd like to ride with it to test it but the return policy is obv unused and unwashed, on that basis I think it's going back.

I just want a drizzle resistant jersey that's warm for those cold drizzly days, how hard is i

Well Gabba is the way to go. I only bought Vulpine jacket for city hmm riding look. Actually I have 3 of their jackets and its sitting in my wardrobe including the one I bought 3 weeks ago.

I am just in love with the Castilli Alpha.