New wheels for spesh tricross

ZootHornRollo
ZootHornRollo Posts: 85
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi guys, looking for advice on a wheelset for my specialized tricross 2011.
Both front and rear are quietly rumbling when spun on the stand.
Looking to spend no more than £150 on a set of wheels that I can use for road and mild off roading... Dirt tracks, fire roads and city cobbled streets. I'm more of a tourer than a racer.
Currently running 700c 32's. Current wheels are :

Rims:
Mavic CXP22
Front Hub:
Forged alloy Hub, sealed bearings, 32 hole, for J bend round spokes
Rear Hub:
Forged aluminium, 32 hole, double sealed ball bearings, cassette, Quick Release

Any suggestions?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Hi guys, looking for advice on a wheelset for my specialized tricross 2011.
    Both front and rear are quietly rumbling when spun on the stand.
    Looking to spend no more than £150 on a set of wheels that I can use for road and mild off roading... Dirt tracks, fire roads and city cobbled streets. I'm more of a tourer than a racer.
    Currently running 700c 32's. Current wheels are :

Rims:
    Mavic CXP22
    Front Hub:
    Forged alloy Hub, sealed bearings, 32 hole, for J bend round spokes
    Rear Hub:
    Forged aluminium, 32 hole, double sealed ball bearings, cassette, Quick Release

Any suggestions?

Unless the rims are worn out, why not just replace the bearings? Chucking the wheels because the bearings are shot is a bit like buying a new car because the ashtray's full...
  • keef66 wrote:
    Unless the rims are worn out, why not just replace the bearings? Chucking the wheels because the bearings are shot is a bit like buying a new car because the ashtray's full...
    The cones are pitted... Sez the guy in the bike shop. He seemed to think it was more economical to replace the wheels than the hubs.
  • Sadly, I tend to agree with the LBS guy... cheap cup & cone hubs are disposable
    left the forum March 2023
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Yup - you can replace the hubs and rebuild the wheels - more than the rims are worth though
  • Looking around there don't appear to be many wheelsets for 8spd set ups. Mostly 9 and up. I take it the free hub could be switched across from my old wheels?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    8, 9, 10 speed are all the same, so your 8 speed cassette will fit on a 10 speed freehub. It will also fit on an 11 speed freehub with a spacer.

You could do worse than a pair of Shimano R501s, used to be available for about £70 from the likes of Ribble
  • keef66 wrote:
    8, 9, 10 speed are all the same, so your 8 speed cassette will fit on a 10 speed freehub. It will also fit on an 11 speed freehub with a spacer.

You could do worse than a pair of Shimano R501s, used to be available for about £70 from the likes of Ribble
    ... And well below budget. Thank you kind sir.

Any others to consider?