Where to buy a T47 BB?

k-dog
k-dog Posts: 1,652
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm having a new bike built and we're discussing bottom brackets. A threaded BB was on my wish list because I'm not keen on the press fit ones but the builder recommended something bigger which would do the job better - more area to weld, will fit the tube diameters better etc - and can do either a press fit one (which they machine after welding so doesn't suffer the same issues as mass produced frames) or a T47 threaded type.

I really like the idea of the T47 but I'm having trouble finding one to buy - I can't really stretch to a Chris King one but I know there are some others - White Industries, Enduro and a cheap one I found from MSC.

But where can I buy one if I need to replace it? I don't want a part that I can't get anywhere!

Any help would be much appreciated.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

Comments

• mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    If your concern is availability, and you're having a custom frame built, spec another type of BB. Get a BB30/PF30 and then whack an adaptor in it if the builder recommends a larger BB shell.
  • k-dog
    Yeah, that was my other thought. They say that they haven't had issues with the PF but those adaptors are good and readily available if it came to it.
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    That's it mate, I've just installed an Ultegra chainset on my PF30 bottom bracket. Used a Praxis adaptor and the engineering on it is superb. It's 50 odd quid but worth it in my opinion. You could even use BB30 bearings and some slot in adaptors. Loads of choice over a T47. Not sure I've even seen any bikes specced with one?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Go with BSA. If your builder thinks he can't get the stiffness out of the frame because of the 24mm spindle, then get another builder because yours is crap.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • k-dog
    It's not the 24mm spindle which is the issue - it's that I want bigger tubes (and that's all on me as I just like the look of slightly chunkier steel tubes) - he's just suggesting that to make it look the way I want either of the bigger shells makes a nicer product.

Said he'd do BSA if I insisted but not what he would recommend. Pretty sure they're not crap! Get a good reputation.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    So have him do a chunky BB with BSA. Not like you're going to see it with the cranks on.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • How about this? Both threaded and press-fit.
    http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/pf ... black.html