Courses on Edge 200

atcf77
atcf77 Posts: 4
edited January 2017 in Workshop
Hi all, new poster here. I've just posted the below in the Garmin forums, but am hoping someone here may also be able to help.

Last week I bought an Edge 200. Nice easy set up, did a couple of rides and it's uploaded them to Garmin Connect with no problems. So far, so good...

The problem is with courses, which was one of the features I was attracted to. I can create a course in Garmin Connect, but when I try to send it to device, I get a Transfer Error message.

So I go to the Garmin Support site. After a bit of searching, I'm not convinced this feature is supported any more as the Edge 200 is not listed among the compatible devices.

I do a bit of researching online and several forums / YouTube videos tell me that what I have to do is create a tcx or gpx file from any one of various sites, then drop it into the New Files folder, and when I switch the device on it will be there. Except...

There is no New Files folder on the device! There is a file called New Files, but it's not something I can drop courses into. So I have a course ready to go, but is there anyway I can get it onto the device so that it will be recognised? There is still a Courses menu on the device, so there must be a way?

Comments

• ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    I'm sure that will be a folder not a file? Maybe try viewing the window using a different method? I don't know, depends which OS you have on your computer, but I'm sure that's be a folder not a file? The 'new files' file or folder in question, it's in a folder right?, called Garmin? If it's a file, what kind of file is it? How big is it? Select it and get info.
  • atcf77
    Thanks for quick reply - sadly it's definitely a file! In the Type column it says File and it's only 2kb in size. I can see the other folders displaying as normal and you can open the file with a Text editor, though there's not much to see. I realise this sounds crazy, and I've seen YouTube videos where there's a normal folder with that name, but this isn't one?!?
  • ben-----
    I would try renaming that file to something a bit different, just to get it out of the way without deleting it. Then create a new folder called new files, getting the casing right; not sure if it should be New files or New Files. Put your gpx or tcx file in and just see if that works.
  • atcf77
    You sir, are a genius! Yes, that's worked, I can see the course on the device now. Thank you so much!
  • ben-----
    Cool, glad it's working.