Front Mech (or shifter) issues

spam02
spam02 Posts: 178
edited January 2017 in Workshop
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help with an issue I am having with my front mech. (or possibly shifter). I currently have a problem with the chain dropping off the outer chainring onto the inner when I am in the larger sprockets on the cassette.
Although I don't cross-chain large to large, I will occasionally change onto the second largest sprocket when on the outer chainring to get over an incline rather than drop onto the smaller ring and change down through the cassette (not best practice, I know - but it's only occasionally and just for a few seconds).
Up until the last 3/4 months this hasn't been an issue, but recently as I start to increase pedal pressure in this combination the chain will suddenly drop onto the inner ring. This is becoming more frequent. It doesn't happen when on large ring and third largest sprocket.
The front mech. cable seems to be tensioned properly (and cable was renewed about a month ago to see if this would cure the problem - but to no avail). Not sure if this is a set-up issue or a problem with the front mech. or shifter. One thing I've just thought of but haven't checked is wear on the chain - could this be the cause?
The front mech. and shifters are less than 3 years old (Sram Rival F.Mech. and Apex shifter).
Has anyone experienced this before and cured it? Any help would be gratefully received.
Steve

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Chain wear could cause this, so could chain-ring wear....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D