Road Disc Wheelset Recommendations

pinches
pinches Posts: 80
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Looking for recommendations for road disc wheels, i need them to be centre lock compatible with around 23mm wide rims

I actually own a pair of mavic ksyrium discs but they are a bit narrow and 6 bolt so i'll be selling these to put into a more suitable pair

Comments

• ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    I've just got the Krysium Pro SL Carbons, great wheels but £££...

Zipp Course 30's are very good as are Hunt (cheap).

All depends on budget etc.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    DT Swiss R23 DB spline are reasonable for the money.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • ryan_w-2
    bbrap wrote:

DT Swiss RR 21 Dicut DBs were on my short list.

Great rims paired with 240 hubs for around £550. Billy bargain.

• pinches
    Ryan_W wrote:

I don't need anything quite as posh as your Pro Carbons, this bike is mostly for training / less ideal weather.

I had looked at the Hunts, they have some new slightly lighter versions of their 4seasons coming out in a couple of weeks.

The DT R23 looks decent too actually.

I was also looking at the Ksyrium Elite Disc which are an upgrade from the ones i already have.

Any other suggestions of things i might not have seen?
  • pinches
    Ryan_W wrote:
    bbrap wrote:

I had a look at these and they don't seem to do them with anything but 12mm / 15mm axel setups, and i think the CAAD12 is standard 9mm only?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    pinches wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:

I don't need anything quite as posh as your Pro Carbons, this bike is mostly for training / less ideal weather.

I had looked at the Hunts, they have some new slightly lighter versions of their 4seasons coming out in a couple of weeks.

The DT R23 looks decent too actually.

I was also looking at the Ksyrium Elite Disc which are an upgrade from the ones i already have.

Any other suggestions of things i might not have seen?

Have you considered handbuilts? Some great disc specific rims out now - H Plus Son Hydra, Ryde Pulse Comp Disc and the older but still good Pacenti SL25.

Plenty of hubs to choose from too, Novatec, Miche, Shimano up to more pricey options such as Aivee and White Industries.

Have a look at the DCR and Cycle Clinic websites - loads of information there.
  • ryan_w-2
    pinches wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:
    bbrap wrote:

I had a look at these and they don't seem to do them with anything but 12mm / 15mm axel setups, and i think the CAAD12 is standard 9mm only?

Nope, you get 9mm QR end cap adaptors with them.

• pinches wrote:
    Looking for recommendations for road disc wheels, i need them to be centre lock compatible with around 23mm wide rims

I actually own a pair of mavic ksyrium discs but they are a bit narrow and 6 bolt so i'll be selling these to put into a more suitable pair

I'd possibly be interested in buying you Ksyriums.....

PM me with price / age / condition etc if you are interested

Thanks
  • Riding fast?

Riding far?

Riding off road?

What do you need them for?
    left the forum March 2023
  • pinches
    Riding fast?

Riding far?

Riding off road?

Road use only, mostly for club/shop rides and a bit of commuting / training across the year, so need reasonably light and suitable for up to maybe 120km jaunts

I have other lighter bikes with road calipers i will normally use for a lot of the summer and when it''s dry
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I bought some Prolite Revo A21 wheels for under £300 a couple of months ago. 6 bolt though. I like them, but I don't have a huge amount of experience of different wheels.
  • pinches wrote:
    Riding fast?

Riding far?

Riding off road?

Road use only, mostly for club/shop rides and a bit of commuting / training across the year, so need reasonably light and suitable for up to maybe 120km jaunts

I have other lighter bikes with road calipers i will normally use for a lot of the summer and when it''s dry

Basically fancy pants then...

Hunt are well reviewed... a friend of mine bought a pair when I refused to build him any more wheels... they seem well built and he likes them.
    Just Riding Along do various versions of their Jawbone disc wheels (or whatever they are called), which are similar, but more customisable.

What's wrong with your Ksyrium? For your use, I would say wide rims are not a must (short rides, more speed than comfort), unless you want to go tubeless...
  • pinches
    pinches wrote:
    Riding fast?

Riding far?

Riding off road?

Basically fancy pants then...

Hunt are well reviewed... a friend of mine bought a pair when I refused to build him any more wheels... they seem well built and he likes them.
    Just Riding Along do various versions of their Jawbone disc wheels (or whatever they are called), which are similar, but more customisable.

What's wrong with your Ksyrium? For your use, I would say wide rims are not a must (short rides, more speed than comfort), unless you want to go tubeless...

Cool, thanks for the input. The hunts are certainly quite good weight / cost.

The Ksyriums are fine but i want to run the shimano rotors which are centrelock and my Ksyriums are 6 bolt only. I'd also like something a bit lighter / wider if possible
  • pinches wrote:
    The Ksyriums are fine but i want to run the shimano rotors which are centrelock and my Ksyriums are 6 bolt only. I'd also like something a bit lighter / wider if possible

Makes sense... the Shimano Freeza rotors are head and shoulders above the competition
  • PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    Got some ARD23 from cycledivision, nice and light and tubeless ready.
  • pinches
    pinches wrote:

Makes sense... the Shimano Freeza rotors are head and shoulders above the competition

Yeah, the rotors on my current bike absolutely howl in the wet!

I'm torn between the hunts and the DT R23 i think
  • ryan_w-2
    My Shimano Freeza discs are embarrassingly noisy when wet. Seriously howling, but still stop amazingly well.

• teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    pinches wrote:
    pinches wrote:

Yeah, the rotors on my current bike absolutely howl in the wet!

I'm torn between the hunts and the DT R23 i think

I've got the Hunts. Really nice wheel, been used for 1.5 winters now and still roll well. Good value
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • pinches
    I've decided to order the hunt 4 seasons after being a bit torn between those and the DT's but the hunts were cheaper, lighter and more readily available!

Thanks to everyone for their input
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    pinches wrote:
    I've decided to order the hunt 4 seasons after being a bit torn between those and the DT's but the hunts were cheaper, lighter and more readily available!

Plus you get a £20 voucher to buy some Hunt arm warmers!
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    I have two sets of Hunt Wheels now. I am happy with them.

My latest is the Aero. I had the 4 seasons before that.

All running on tubeless and flawless atm.

4 seasons had it all year. Not one problem and still true.

Aero I've had them for over 3 months now and seems to be fine.

I am not sure about hunt clothing.
  • pinches
    solboy10 wrote:
    pinches wrote:

Plus you get a £20 voucher to buy some Hunt arm warmers!

Ha yeah i got the voucher and used it for a T-Shirt, always short of bits like that for the prototype shop at work