Sprinter's Stumpy Progress Thread

sprinter2012
sprinter2012 Posts: 88
edited January 2017 in Your mountain bikes
Figured I'd start a thread for things related to this bike rather than post loads of different ones. Here's my first entry:

No riding this weekend as the bike was in pieces getting it's winter service/deep cleanse, they say pictures speak 1000 words, so here's some pictures...and also some words.

First time using the new Brand-X bike stand, very easy to setup and very sturdy, 10/10. I wouldn't recommend hanging the bike that far forward with only the rear wheel on though as it makes it very back heavy.

IMG_20170114_141348.jpg

Horrible dirty/worn cassette and chain

IMG_20170114_141400.jpg

Gunked up dropper post assembly, needs cleaning as the movement sticks and leaves play in the lever

IMG_20170114_141419.jpg

Front drivetrain is just as bad as the rear dirt-wise, chainring itself is fine though luckily

IMG_20170114_141439.jpg

Rear mech clearly wasn't set right as it it had obviously been jumping off the bottom cog a lot with it's previous owner and chewed up the locking ring and also the mech hanger

IMG_20170114_141949.jpg

ALL OF THE TOOLS!

IMG_20170114_141530.jpg

Old cassette off, freewheel assembly cleaned, degreased and then regreased

IMG_20170114_145328.jpg

New cassette fitted (SRAM PG-1070) and correctly torqued to 40Nm

IMG_20170114_150045.jpg

Both wheels/tyres are now off at my LBS getting some tlc, back wheel needed a new valve, and the front was running a tube for some reason so they are taking that out and adding some slime for me.

Next weekend's checklist:

• Clean/degrease/relube whole bike
• Discovered the mech was in a bad way (work jockeys and play in at least one of the main links), so fit new rear mech with new hanger
• Check new chain matches old chain length, if not, remove links as necessary
• Setup alignment of all bar mounted controls to my own riding position
• Wait for wheels to be ready on Wednesday!
Subscribe on YouTube or follow on Instagram

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    That tyre looks damn tight in there.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • robertpb wrote:
    That tyre looks damn tight in there.

Well spotted, I'd already taken out the rear axle when that photo was taken hence the tyre being against the rear triangle!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    So you're able to take the bike apart to give it some TLC, but you're unable to take a tyre off and make tubeless? It's really not that hard and installing a valve is even easier.
  • Briggo wrote:
    So you're able to take the bike apart to give it some TLC, but you're unable to take a tyre off and make tubeless? It's really not that hard and installing a valve is even easier.

I probably could have done it myself, but I didn't have valves, slime or a compressor/track pump capable of seating a tubeless tyre properly.

I've now ordered some presta/schrader adapters so I can use the compressor, and some slime. So next time I'll be doing it myself.
  • I've now fixed/cleaned/replaced everything listed in the previous post, so here's the accompanying photographic proof...

New cassette, chain and mech hanger installed

IMG_20170121_125645.jpg

Short cage mech for extra ground clearance, the 2.1 clutch type design does keep that lower chain run super tight. Sure it might have some movement, but I can't see any scenario where it would get even remotely close to the chainstay.

Setup was SO easy! Fit to bike>set H screw>set L screw>fit chain>set B screw>turn shifter dial 2 clicks for fine adjustment>enjoy super smooth flawless shifting within 10 minutes

IMG_20170121_125736.jpg

Close-up of the MRP 1x chain guide, super easy install due to only using 2 out of the 3 ISCG-05 mounting points

IMG_20170121_125723.jpg
  • Second enduro guard installed to match the front, provides zero protection for my back, but does make a nice shield to keep crud away from the pivot linkage and rear shock seals etc.

IMG_20170121_125745.jpg

With the low BB on the Stumpy, these high density plastic/rubber crank boots are worth their weight in gold

IMG_20170121_125837.jpg

And here's the finished article basking in the early afternoon sun. Only thing to change now is the forks when my Pikes arrive, but tbh the only visual difference you'll see is that the stickers on the lowers will be white instead of blue!

IMG_20170121_130747.jpg